Any S3 owners got rear aero wiper?

noslojo

Reaction score
Website
www.starperformance.co.uk
Hi,

Just been searching for info on the aero wipers but one thing I haven't been able to clarify is if the rear aero wiper can be used on the S3 without fouling the rear spoiler?

It looks like you buy a polo arm and touran blade but the pics I can see only show an A3 not S3.
VAG PArts do the kits but say they don't do rears for the S3 due to the spoiler so any advice and info on what is required for the back is appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kev

I've got one from Markb sitting in my boot, yet to be fitted. There is a couple for sale on ebay listed for S3 fitment if you have a look.

Does an Aero wiper make your car go faster?

Yes, I have the Polo arm with the Touran blade. I believe the kit originally was the botht the arm and blade from the Polo, but I had a long chat to Martin about it and suggested that the Touran arm was a better choice (based on info from a thread on TSN).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it...
In fact, if you study the areodynamics of the rear end of the S3 with that lip spoiler, and what it does to the airflow over the back of the car...you could do what you want with the rear wiper and have no effect!

Hey, it looks nicer though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it...
In fact, if you study the areodynamics of the rear end of the S3 with that lip spoiler, and what it does to the airflow over the back of the car...you could do what you want with the rear wiper and have no effect!

Hey, it looks nicer though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Will it look bling? Will my mates like it down the local wine bar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

More to the point, do they wipe any better than the standard item? 'Cos my standard one's a load of rubbish.

[ QUOTE ]
More to the point, do they wipe any better than the standard item? 'Cos my standard one's a load of rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares... "they look nicer"

OK, just fitted mine(5 minute job), it's about 1/2" shorter than standard wiper, so no clearance problems, and definitely worth 5BHP IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before:
32882-rearwiper600.jpg

After:
32883-rearaerowiper600.jpg

Many thanks Markb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Will it look bling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so...perhaps if it were to be chromed?

[ QUOTE ]

Will my mates like it down the local wine bar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely...it's not sufficiently different to warrant anyone noticing...not does it perform any better.
A complete waste of money and effort, some would suggest...

Perhaps if it were chromed and had blue LEDs affixed, it would be noticed by the hommes down the wine bar! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fit a new wiper blade then...that'll do the trick.
A rear wiper is a rear wiper...it hardly adds to the driving experience, does it?

I sense there's more than a hint of Sarcasm today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think these things are a waste of time to be honest, I don't really think they look any better and if they don't work better seems like a waste of money!

[ QUOTE ]
I sense there's more than a hint of Sarcasm today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm?
Surely not...not from Grant or I that's for sure...

[ QUOTE ]

I think these things are a waste of time to be honest, I don't really think they look any better and if they don't work better seems like a waste of money!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...I actually prefer the look of the standard wiper..but maybe I'm just odd.
As for performance...a wiper that works is a wiper that works...surely?

No matter...each to their own...it would be a boring place if we were all the same.
Besides, surely it qualifies as another mod on the all important 'internet forum' signature list of modifications? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lol, true Glen, mine needs beefed up a bit too. I have always felt the original (which I still have) is useless. I assumed it was because it was knakered when i got my car but a new Bosche blade made little difference. Had planned to get the aero one...I can only afford cheap bling at them moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No matter...each to their own...it would be a boring place if we were all the same.
Besides, surely it qualifies as another mod on the all important 'internet forum' signature list of modifications? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have always felt the original (which I still have) is useless. I assumed it was because it was knakered when i got my car but a new Bosche blade made little difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here... new Bosche blade, still a smeary mess out the back in the wet. That was a waste of a tenner! Ho hum.

my wipers work fine, if there used they keep the front and rear clear, rear isn't smeary etc.

could it be the spring in the arm that's knackered for the people that are finding the standard wipers don't work?

PS... Rainex works a treat if going fast enough!

I just wanted the rear one to look a little smoother and be a little easier to clean and for £13.50 from VAG parts it's a cheap change easpecially if you need a new blade anyway.

Now chroming and blue LEDs . . . . . . theres a thought! Could even connect the leds up to a "sweep message sender" so that words appear when it sweeps back and forth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Who's gonna be first with that one then ??

So after all this I take it that the Polo arm and Touran blade is the way to go and nothing else is needed ?

Kev

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted the rear one to look a little smoother and be a little easier to clean and for £13.50 from VAG parts it's a cheap change easpecially if you need a new blade anyway.

Now chroming and blue LEDs . . . . . . theres a thought! Could even connect the leds up to a "sweep message sender" so that words appear when it sweeps back and forth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Who's gonna be first with that one then ??

So after all this I take it that the Polo arm and Touran blade is the way to go and nothing else is needed ?

Kev

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep correct. You only need the polo arm and touran blade. You use the nut from your existing wiper...

very nice Joe, much better visually than the old one

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It had to be done after seeing yours Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It had to be done after seeing yours Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it does look better mate. A job well done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My rear wiper broke some time back. Took the whole lot off with intention to sort it out but never seem to get round to it. Currently got an 'Onza' handle bar plug from my old mountain bike wedged in the hole - fits perfectly.
I think it makes the rear of the car actualy look better with no wiper but with the weather as it currently is i can't see s#£t out the back window.

[ QUOTE ]
Naa, this is what ya want for proper bling!

playerrearwiper5jf.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Niiiiiice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

For full effect, perhaps someone can add the following:

A raised up (on alloy brackets) rear wing - roof mounted

Pimp tints

Some blue LED number plate fixing bolts.

...and maybe an LED or 2 on that rear wiper.

Class. It would be worthy of a magazine feature then...

hmm, got to say i prefer the original OEM wiper TBH. The aero one looks too small, and not to my taste.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
32883-rearaerowiper600.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the Polo blade though, not the Touran one, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct

I thought it look pretty small when seeing both pics but I'lll just nip down to my local stealer who a pretty good and compare the parts from there. Thanks for the pics and advice

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ive got one on mine the polo one it was, as i work for vw, i think it was under a tenna with discount, thats blade and arm and new cap, should hit the spoiler as its slightly smaller then the original