Sump, pick up, oil and filter done, BUT need conformation.

cjsuk

Reaction score
So for the past few weeks I have gathered my bits together as always on the cheap :) 5 litres of triple qx 5w40 fully synth and a bosch oil filter for £17.99, tube of genuine Audi sump sealant for free! (thanks to the guy at IVC Leeds) and a long 5mm ball end hex socket £6.50, sump nut and washer £2.00 Not bad I think.

Yesterday was the day, ironically the service warning came on an hour before telling me I had 800 miles to get it serviced haha.

I commenced with the on the street service 1. Mild engine flush, 2. Jack up the car, 3. Axal stands out, 4. Remove splash guard, 5. Undo sump nut 6. Get soaked in oil due to the wind (tw@t) 7. Undo 3 big bolts from the gearbox, 8. Undo the 17 easy bolts (surprisingly easy) 9. Remove the 3 most awkward bolts in the world EVER!, 10. Undo the 2 bolts for the oil return line (get more oil soaked) 10a. Unplug oil sensor 11. Big screw driver and prize the sump off 12. Remove old oil filter and again soaked in oil!.

To be honest I was surprised the oil was actually not bad I was expecting a mass of sludge I had the usual blackened sump walls but that cleaned up, as for the pick up I think I caught it at the right time:

Ok that looks a little like everyone else's BUT look what come out of it:

Anyway that's all clean now.

Got the silicone on the sump and fit it 1 problem tho, the middle fiddly bolt, I could not for the life of me line it up to get it in this was really cos I was doing it on axel stands rather than a ramp, I just couldn't see, then the bolt just vanished, that bolt didn't go on lol. (will get one eventually.).

Now the confusing bit after a good half hour I filled with oil, in the manual it says 3.5 litres of oil (including filter), I got 3.5 litres in and on the dipstick it was nearly full. I started the engine, run for a couple of mins then waited 5 for the oil to return and checked, it was barley touching the dipstick, I put another half litre in so that's 4 liters and only a quarter way up the stick.

I have gone off the values of the manual which was 3.5 litres BUT is that presuming there is still a little oil in the sump and not taking in to consideration the revised oil filter?.

I have searched and people say 4.6 liters but that's over a litre from what the manual says and I don't want to over fill the ******.

So can you confirm what quantity I should actually have in there?

No leaks so far btw.

Good you had a bash at this mate..... Only thing. Would of added was doing the sump nuts up equally and opposite when I did mine.....

I.e. don't just work your way round clockwise tightening them up as to spread the sump sealant correctly.

Iirc I used 4.5 litres there abouts as I like oil to display just over half on my dipstick. Personal preference

Sean

Good you had a bash at this mate..... Only thing. Would of added was doing the sump nuts up equally and opposite when I did mine.....

I.e. don't just work your way round clockwise tightening them up as to spread the sump sealant correctly.

Iirc I used 4.5 litres there abouts as I like oil to display just over half on my dipstick. Personal preference

Sean
I did tighten the nuts up right lol bit of a pain on your back going from one side to another but I did it :) I now have it showing as it should on the stick only thing is, I put some cardbord under last night just to pick up on any leaks an it seems there has been a few drops over night :/ (fresh oil) I used a funnel to fill it so its not over spill, the drops were localised on the cardboard (all in the same place), ill have a look tomorrow morning, with any luck it will be just a small area and accessible to smear some sealant on, if not then its a case keeping an eye on it until I can pop it all off again.

Ill have a blast at anything, if I had the money I'd be building another engine in the shed with some nice bits and bats added to it :) lol

Reactions: s33nyboy12
after i did mine i thought it was leaking from the front of the sump seal but it turned out there is a wee ledge at the front just above the sump where some oil spills when removing the oil filter and it was just oil that was sitting there that was dribbling down slowly.

I managed to get my hand up there and give it a good mop up with a cloth and it was fine after that.

hopefully its just that

after i did mine i thought it was leaking from the front of the sump seal but it turned out there is a wee ledge at the front just above the sump where some oil spills when removing the oil filter and it was just oil that was sitting there that was dribbling down slowly.

I managed to get my hand up there and give it a good mop up with a cloth and it was fine after that.

hopefully its just that

It was nice fresh oil that landed on the cardboard, not black, when I changed the oil last year I did have the problem you say though lol, I did 60 miles last night with a few stops, kept an eye on the tarmac and there wasn't any drips on the floor at any stop, going to go out now and check to see it it's lost any today now it's rested :)