EM TuningAH Fabrications

Thread: Caliper Paint

Numptie of the highest order

Status

Caliper Paint

Hi All,

I'm going to be fitting new Discs and Pads all round a long with giving my car a bloody good clean at the weekend (weather permitting).

I thought whilst I'm there I might as well paint the calipers as the rears especially have gone a horrid multi coloured colour.

Can anyone thats done this let me know which kit they used, I probably won't be able to leave the car without driving it for a full 24hours so the quicker the better, I've seen the foilatec two part kits? or there's the bog standard high temp paint any experiences with either would be good as there seems to be a huge difference in price.

Cheers,

Ben.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

Re: Caliper Paint

Did all mine last week with Halfrauds caliper paint. Cost a tenner for the tim and I reckon I used a quarter of it giving each caliper 3 coats.
    Looks good to me and a few mates have said it tidy's the look up real well.

Its boring as sin painting them though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Numptie of the highest order

Status

I take it you painted them in place without removing the calipers etc? and which colour did you go for, Halfords near me only seems to have red yellow and blue in the actual caliper colours although they have Black in the other high temp paints.

imported_fingermouse

Ive had mine done for 8 months now and I just used normal car paint.

I cleaned them up, primed them then finished them in a graphite grey colour. Normal car paint works fine you dont need the fancy caliper paint.

Halfrauds often do a 3 for 2 offer as well so you can get a spare can.

3rd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I take it you painted them in place without removing the calipers etc? and which colour did you go for, Halfords near me only seems to have red yellow and blue in the actual caliper colours although they have Black in the other high temp paints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, masked them out but did remove the spring clip from the front calipers to aid painting.
    I went for red paint, although if they'd have had silver I may have gone for that, happy with red now they're done, so glad they didn't have silver!.

Being totally honest, the caliper paint seemed to be re-badged smoothrite. It was the same size tin, the same consistency and also applied itself the same way.
    Loads of colours to choose form with Smoothrite and its 6 per tin instead of a tenner.

Neutral

Status

I was looking at these options too (along with loads of others as usual - thats why I can never make up my mind!).

If I go the painting caliper route then its up to the local DIY place for some smoothrite - cheap, easy, decent colour choice and does the job - what more can you ask for! I had a mate that did this then used car paint on top to match his car - it lasted as long as h had his car (2 years) with no issues.

Kev

2nd Gear

Status

I used Smoothrite on mine too, all i have ever used on any of my cars, does the job nicely, will need a few coats to get best effect, especially with red [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As said previously , plenty of colours to choose from

imported_velcrobix

I just used some black hamerite that was knocking around in the garage. Did it well over a year ago and it still looks fine. Having a black car i thought i'd go for the 'subtle' look.