Yet another thing - I am at the end of my patience with the S3

spiker

trying to growl less these days
Reaction score
OK

So I always new having an S3 would't be cheap - the expensive servicing the parts the COST of having those rings on the front but after 3 years the fun is starting to fade

On Monday I finally had a look at my door bottoms and yes like so many others, the metal holding the trim on to the doors has rusted and they are starting to come away from the bodywork - Audi of course say its a trim issue and of course dont cover it under warranty. About £150 to buy both strips for F**** sake. My original Alloys now all show signs of corrosion and I bet Audi will also try and wiggle out of that one despite my regular cleaning of both the car and the wheels. It seems a constant battle with Audi to get them to admit to anything.

The final straw came yesterday when i was driving up to Banbury - I heard a loud clunk from the rear OS as I was going up hill and the wheels seemed to freewheel - the car didnt accelerate at all and minutes later taking a very modest left hand bend at 30mph the car had a fit and I was extremely lucky to keep it on the tarmac after 3 full locks of the steering. Good job nothing was coming the other way otherwise It could have been nasty

I had to get towed back to Bristol by the AA ( not for the first time with this car) and have left it with my local Audi back street guy. It looks bad - transmission for sure and probably a Diff problem. Ok it might be somethig minor but it could be serious money to fix it if its something serious like the transmission

In the last 3 years I cant remember a month going by without having to do something like...

Have bodywork sorted under the corrosion warranty, have my bodywork or wheels scratched,have some monkey at Audi raz my car when in for work, get 2 faulty Abs sensors that were a pig to diagnose (£300), have a xenon problem (£100), my display is now starting to look garbled (£350), ive replaced bushes all over the place (£500),tyres x2(£1000),shocks (£300) ,exhaust (£400),this sensor that sensor (£500), had the water impeler snap (£200),door sensor still faulty and causing the alarm to go off (£?), interior lights flashing in tandem (£?),2 broken glove box hinges (£150), faulty rear brake light (£40), the processor in the stereo was replaced (**cough £200)

ok ill stop now theres more if i could be bothered to get the receipts out but I havent even included 6 services - probably about another (£1500) on top of that

I have had it with the S3

I know what you mean to be honest, I still like mine enough to want to keep it though, but not without wanting to sort the suspension properly as soon as funds allow.

To sort the alarm / Door / light issue the part is £40 and it took me about an hour to replace. Does sound like you've had a bad time of it, and yes Audi are useless when it comes to real customer service and I'm not sure I'd buy another that was out of the manufacturers warranty!

Let us know how you get on and I hope it's not too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

maybe it is just the CV joint gone. I'll be optimistic for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Car is Jan 2000 with 100K - well looked after and serviced and mostly motorway miles
My average MPG is 33 if thats any indication of how i drive it

Ouch... and here I am drooling dying to get my hands on one.

Sounds like a few transmission failures recently on the forums... can you confirm what the fault was? Cross fingers it is something simple like a CV joint. Good luck mate...

Hi guys

Ok my garage has had it for 2 days and they can find nothing wrong with it so far - cv joints all ok - no leaks everything appears normal - everything external looks ok

Although when they test drove it the front passenger wheel started to just spin rapidly with no traction - extremely dangerous as I found out Thursday.

Bottom line is it needs to be stripped down and the problem found, this is not going to be cheap. It could be gearbox, but more likely a diff problem the clunking is coming from the OS rear and yet the front NS is spinning

Basically the car is undrivable - I have lost all confidence until it can be stripped down and diagnosed.

My guy ( and he is cheap) has suggested £600-£800 just to strip down and then another £???? to fix whatever is the fault

You know what...... I have just bought myself a 2.0 Golf TDI 2 year old 20K this afternoon and bye bye to the Audi

I have had nothing but expense and hassle with the car - so I am trading it in - dont ask how much it you would make you cry but it has to go

So long fellas - thanks for all the advice I have received, really , really appreciated it and good luck and safe driving to you all

BYE

its the 150BHP one - Yes I may go back to AMD for the chip

thanks

Know what you mean, my last service (not had all the w*rk done) was £1200 and my bro's girlfriend ran the service desk at the time.

Love the car to drive, but compared to my old VR6, there seems to be a lot of niggly problems all the time- I had a rear light bulb go and a stone damage my ABS sensor in the Golf, in over 3 years!