Limbo's S3.... Never Ending BT Build Thread :)

Reaction score
Hi all!, i own a audi s3 2000 APY 210,

i bought it September 2012.

i love working on my car an learning new things along the way! and being 21 im still learning alot ha! pretty much everything on my car i have fitted an learnt mainly from this forum! :)

its got to the point where i could save more money an sell up and buy something newer etc, or do i put more money into this car which is an awesome engine. turbo, and 4wd... and then have something running alot of power... so i thought why not! :)

me and my friends are going to nurburring in august 2014! and i want my build on the road by christmas this year! then mapping etc after christmas hopefully!

anyways heres my plan. as it stands this is whats on the car currently.....

• Forge FMIC
  • custom decat into miltek
  • relentless 3'' DP
  • H&R adjustable front anti roll bar
  • badger 5 TIP / heatshield / JR filter
  • blue haldex controller
  • red dog bone mount
  • 18'' rotiform reps . powedercoated texture satin black
  • 334mm tt v6 front brakes
  • coilovers
  • Forge 007p DV
  • forge / samco hosing
  • forge cold side relocation pipe
  • n249 bypass
  • LED'S
  • pressed plates
  • window deflectors
  • colour coded bumbers / skirts
  • import rear lights
  • pilar boost gauge
  • LCR splitter
  • facelight lights / Hid's
  • adjustable tie arms
  • 35mm and 20mm spacers
and as it stands the car is coming off the road end of may 2013, and it leaves me a good few months to crack on with my build!

the plan is 400bhp!

so what i think im going to buy!
  • Rods package from INA (bought april 2013)
  • large port head / mani
  • supertech exhaust valves / guides
  • 630cc injectors...... unsure of which ones atm
  • garrett GTX2867R 86. ar t25 fitment
  • piston rings
  • big end shells
  • t25 manifold cast
  • inline fuel pump....... unsure which one atm
  • 'wellycooler' and piping
  • 3'' custom exhaust
  • new custom TIP to old jr filter
  • tial actuator / rhd bracket for turbo
  • new clutch .... unsure which one yet :s
  • mapping..... bager 5....
pretty sure im going to need alot of help on choosing certain things! but i thought id start a new thread and let you all know how i get on! its guna be fun! :)

any comments welcome! cheers james!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we had a good chat about turbo choice and both our builds, but il share this so you can have a think about which hotside to go with:
GTX2867 .86 A/R vs .64 A/R Turbine Dyno

If you havent bought it yet, i suggest external gate to get the most out of it.

As you know ive got the .64 internal (been trying to change it but its from usa so a pain in the ***), anyway i dont think the larger .86 should even be an option, Al at ppt has also been quoted its a bad match for the 28 wheel, and as that link shows not a great deal of extra power in it, but quite a loss of spool.
A .63 external hotside would prob spool like the .86 internal shown, but it will be alot better up top.

Cheers. And the interior will remain standard, except il get some harnesses an remove the rear seats for on tracks. I still want it to be a nice weekend car :)

Nice set of mods you already haven there mate...and some very nice ones to come :)
Quick read through and it maybe worth adding a WMI kit, upgrading the engine mounts and if you're tracking it with a BT - possibly a baffled sump.

Be interesting to see a build thread on this.....I'm also an APY owner and was wondering if you would be changing to VVT and also converting to Wideband?

No doubt about it, your car will be rapid on the track. I like the fact that you arent going crazy with stripping out the interior. I guess there is no need when you have big power. I agree, just get rid of the rear seats and enjoy it. will be fun!

Ino its not really budget but i just mean im not going OTT. Like ino a larger intake mani would be a good mod but i carnt contenplate spending that much really its just the basicals really :) yeh engine mount an baffled sumps is a good shout do you know if you can get like a shallow baffled sump? Hate how low they sit already been through one!And about vvt an wideband havnt looked into that yet! But WMI is probably worth geting id imagion.Id love to get buckets seats or somethink stiffer than the standard seats but i dont wana ruin the look of the car too much! :)

TSR baffle insert looks pretty crap to me.

The highest forces you're likely to exert on the car are under braking, not cornering, and the TSR baffle insert has no baffles in that plane. Just the two minimal baffles without gates for left and right, which I don't think are overly adequate either!

all or nothing approach required!

Hmmm good point.
Wouldnt be too hard to have a baffle welded in to the front of it for the braking though.

The alloy baffled sumps are just so overpriced its crazy.

The forge one isn't mate, the forge one is only £186, and looks ****** fantastic :)
I agree though, the £300+ of most others always scared the life out of me, hence why I had one made by Nick at AMD for a lot less money!

Had the forge one been out at the time then that's definately where I'd have put my money.

The amount of trouble stacey had on track due to filling catch cans, I think the fore and aft baffles are the really important ones, very few people will be pulling enough sustatined cornering G to cause massive problems, but plenty of us have big brakes and haul up from 100mph + which is when the oil will go near vertical up the block and all come out of the breather!

Reactions: superkarl
On a side note im about to buy the forge one for £169 delivered :).

Maybe im cheap but 186 for a baffled sump.....

You can get a sump for 25 quid and surely the baffle parts arent going to cost £161 are they?

My catch can was brimming at castle comb, and after staceys accounts aswell i figured a baffled sump could help.
i have some breather setup ideas too, my mates sr20 hasthe block breather fed to the rocker first, then 2 rocker breathers. I might replicate it

Still, 180odd pound :eek:

You can get a sump for 25 quid and surely the baffle parts arent going to cost £161 are they?

Yes marty, you're as cheap as they come!

£186 is THE cheapest baffled sump on the market!

The SeatSport style ones from the likes of AKS and BDM are around £350.

Just to give you an idea....

I called up TPS the other day and inquired about a new OEM sump...they wanted around £120 for just the sump

Cheapest I've found for an aftermarket one is around £50...

Audi | Car Parts 4 Less UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Baffle parts are about £10 each....then you obviously have no guarantee or testing and development with what you've made - So therefore I think £186 is a very good price considering the cost of OEM parts and also other alternative baffled sumps.

Cheapest option would be to use your OEM sump and just buy the baffle parts and you have a modified baffled OEM sump.

I've only been looking at new sumps as my current sump plug thread is a tad knackered - I assume the £25 you are on about is for a second hand sump?

£169 is the cheapest nick if you sweet talk awesome haha :).

Reactions: kwistof
can anyone tell me about with fitting a LP head what mani to use? i was thinking the standard LP one bit the throttle bodie is on the oppoite side isnt it! or do most people just keep the small port mani with the SP to LP spacer gasket?

Just to give you an idea....

I called up TPS the other day and inquired about a new OEM sump...they wanted around £120 for just the sump

Cheapest I've found for an aftermarket one is around £50...

Audi | Car Parts 4 Less UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Baffle parts are about £10 each....then you obviously have no guarantee or testing and development with what you've made - So therefore I think £186 is a very good price considering the cost of OEM parts and also other alternative baffled sumps.

Cheapest option would be to use your OEM sump and just buy the baffle parts and you have a modified baffled OEM sump.

I've only been looking at new sumps as my current sump plug thread is a tad knackered - I assume the £25 you are on about is for a second hand sump?

I totally understand where your coming from.

No it was a brand new sump with sump bolt. tuffty sent me the link for it. I think it was from volkbits or volk parts.....something like that. If the baffle parts are about £10 each then it would still work out cheaper than a forge one id imagine. especially as this is supposed to be a budget build......

Ok im off:undwech:

I totally understand where your coming from.

No it was a brand new sump with sump bolt. tuffty sent me the link for it. I think it was from volkbits or volk parts.....something like that. If the baffle parts are about £10 each then it would still work out cheaper than a forge one id imagine. especially as this is supposed to be a budget build......

Ok im off:undwech:

its a budget within reason :) luckily il be able to sell things off the car already which will save me a little bit! plus its being built over the rest of this year

My catch can was brimming at castle comb, and after staceys accounts aswell i figured a baffled sump could help.
i have some breather setup ideas too, my mates sr20 hasthe block breather fed to the rocker first, then 2 rocker breathers. I might replicate it

Still, 180odd pound :eek:

The AGN cover is pretty good for that as you can just tap the "extra" port on the filler, and stick an AN fitting on it down to the block, then use the regular breather to the air/oil separator.

I'll be ordering a Forge sump soon. Lucky I don't pay VAT.

Agu runners welded to a ko4 plenum I made for a customer.

8B97E04C-4234-4BF9-BC57-EDE336B11098-613-000000DD54C46E87.jpg

Reactions: Sam_ and superkarl
little update!

ended up taking the car off the road on the weekend! first time id taken an whole engine out so dont think i did too badly really only took a couple hours! :)

heres some pics!

next plan is to buy parts like piston rings and main bearings etc ready for the rebuild to take place! :)

last day out before engine out! :p

tools everwhere! :s and the new diesel beast! hah

somethink missing there!

engine!! quite happy theres miniml play in turbo. but engine was using a fair bit of oil recently :s

the full ko4 turbo setup is up for sale too if you know anyone whos intrested :)

bit of an update, still deciding on which turbo, after seeing new figures from the gtx seriers im unsure what to get :/ bought a few more parts included, ferrera exhaust vavles, IE manual tensior, oil SAI delete pipe, AGU head, forge supersize dv, few more OE rebuild parts. an also an painted my gearbox an block, been busy geting a friends mk2 golf 20v up and running with a ko4 setup :)