Std airbox or induction kit

Rs6mick

Reaction score
Hi people want to start doing some mods to my s3 and don't know weather to stick to the std airbox with an uprated panel filter or go for the ramair maxflow kit I'm not after any better noise just better performance

Hi there,

Best first performance mod IMO would be a badger 5 TIP and then a remap at either Bills @ badger 5 or nick at r tech.

I'm assuming you have a standard S3? They benefit massively with a remap, and pretty much change the way the car is.

Check the stickies and use the search bar for alternative things I do.

Badger 5 TIP & Jetex Filter & Heat-shield have seen the best results I think. £240 off eBay or contact Badger5 through here.

Ok but the problem there with the jetex filter is you have the air filter exposed in the engine bay so all it's doing is sucking in hot air so that would loose you power what I'm asking is has anyone had better results with sticking to the standered air box with an uprated panel filter like k&n or pipercross or would and induction kit like a bmc cda kit or the ramair maxflow kit give better power

sucking in hot air so that would loose you power

And then putting that same air through a K04 turbo which heats it up a hell of a lot more! A decent intercooler will mean that you don't need to worry about intake temps a huge amount..... Sure cold air can only help, but from most testing not a huge amount

Reactions: superkarl
Rs6mick dont get hung up on the hot air debate, end of the day what do that sucked in air get pushed through? A small little heat pump called a k04 turbo thatll heat the air up, buy a B5 full induction kit and a wellycooler and your laughing.

I agree with everything said above.

Sounds like the OP wants to spend money for the sake of spending money/knows all the answers, however S2000 air filter for the win. The most powerful K04 car on the forum runs one, with no heat shield.

As do I. (Most powerful K03s)

As does Prawn. (Most powerful K04 Hybrid)

As do countless TT owners. (Saw a 340bhp GT28 build with one the other day)

As do countless LCR owners. (I know of a 305bhp LCR with an S2000 open filter)

As do a lot of 600bhp+ turbo S2000's. (Just google it)

anyone got a link to the the s2000 induction kit? and any threads from people with them in (pictures etc)

... or any regular cotton cone filter if you don't want to change it every time you do a service. JR, K&N etc

Paper filters offer the best filtration, and given the £13 cost you could have four years worth of S2000 filters by the time you purchased one Jetex. If you kept a Jetex for 4 years it would be nackered by the the of it.

I think the S2000 filter offers better performance, more filtration and better value than a cotton based "generic" cone filter.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Paper filters offer the best filtration, and given the £13 cost you could have four years worth of S2000 filters by the time you purchased one Jetex. If you kept a Jetex for 4 years it would be nackered by the the of it.

I think the S2000 filter offers better performance, more filtration and better value than a cotton based "generic" cone filter.
As this been proved yet? back to back runs...

My Jetex is still as good as new 4+ years on...;) and for the amount i paid i am not swapping it for hearsay, ​if you havent got anything to start off with then fair enough...

As this been proved yet? back to back runs...

My Jetex is still as good as new 4+ years on...;) and for the amount i paid i am not swapping it for hearsay, ​if you havent got anything to start off with then fair enough...

Mines 18 months old or so and got it with my V1 + heatshield.

I'd be interested to see if there was any difference between the S2000 and Jetex filter and if so then by how much? I won't be changing from the Jetex unless any hard evidence is shown and been proved tbh.

I wonder if this will turn out like the dump valve thread! lol

Not as far as I know, no. I think someone tested an old Jetex vs a brand new S2000 and the differences were minute, not enough to write home about and could be put down to variance in the runs. For me though the S2000 filter just looks a bit naff in an otherwise nice looking bay. That and I can just rinse mine off. I've not noticed any dirt in the inlet tract since fitting the Jetex.

I did all of this and it is in the info thread.

I saw 4g/s over a Jetex, and when I divided by 0.8 after going on a dyno my power was EXACTLY my airflow /0.8. Prawn saw his healthiest figure with one too.

The car felt genuinely smoother to drive.

So we're still waiting for a proper back to back test. Would be good to see. Airflow logs are good as a general indication but hardly a proper test.