Engine oil

Markb

Reaction score
Just a quicky guys.

What grade oil should I be using or would you recommend using for my 1998 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo? (AGU engine code)

I have been running on 0/40 Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 and changing it every 4K, but some people say use 10/40.

So guys what are your thoughts?

I use 0w40. If its not drinking it, then you can use this no problem!

Mine's been on 0w40 Mobil One changed every 10K for almost all it's life and doesn't use any oil whatsoever (1997 1.8T AGU engine).

10w40 is standard spec, but if you can get away with 0w40 you might aswell!

Rich

i used quantum synta synthetic oil, was only bout £11 retail price, oil filter bout £3.86 as well both from vw

I was using Mobil 1 but at the last change AmD put Synta Gold in it as they said that Mobil 1 was too thin.

why not use the slx recommended by audi?

[ QUOTE ]
why not use the slx recommended by audi?

[/ QUOTE ]

DIdn't know it was, have never changed the oil in my car before, been done at services so haven't got a clue which oil to buy, was interested in what everyone else uses.

[ QUOTE ]
Mobil1...

Cheaper than SLX and VAG503.01

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that for long life serivicing? (VAG503.01)

Wouldn't that be a bit of a compromise to overall performance?

I use the Halfords own brand fully synthetic 5w/40. This is the same spec as Synta Gold. Halfords is £30 for 5 litres, but they often do specials with it half price or 2 for the price of 1.

i used to use mobil 1 in all my petrol cars and diesel 306 did over 120K with no problems on thats stuff, ive always took Moby1 to be the best

[ QUOTE ]
I use the Mobil one too, if its good enough for F1!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The oil F1 teams use is completely different to that used in road cars. But I agree Mobil 1 is a top quality oil, i have used it for years. I have also used the Halfords fully synthetic oil which i believe is made by Mobil for halfords and have no complaints about it.