ADVISE NEEDED PLEASE

Dannycanyon

Reaction score
I am looking at buying an Audi S3.

The car I am interested in was registered in 2000 (x), yet the digital date on the dash reads
28.1.1999. Should I be wary of this..?

I thought that this could have been reset on disconnection of battery, but then
1) Would it not have been reset by the service dept
2) would it not have been put back to a date long before 1999.

Any advice would be very welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Many thanks

Canyon

Theres a date on the dash!? Your car is a X-reg, therefore a prefecelift model. The ECU would have been made early in 1999 or atleast the programming would have been, therefore that is fine.

Rich

Rich,

thanks for the help, fpor some reason I thought X was post facelift. Although all that aside, I have no idea what the difference between the two are..

All I know is I am after an S3 no earlier than 2000, no more than 60,000 and I was quite keen on Black, though the mineral grey has appeal. I dont mind getting the 210 as I will probs chip anyway..

Is it worth paying exta to get a 2001 model just for the facelift...?, or is there not much difference..?

Thanks again

Canyon

Facelift versions are available on a X plate (anything built last quarter of 2000). I've had two facelift X plate S3's...

Check out the S3 buyers guide at the top of this forum for all the differences between facelift and pre-facelift.

As for the date on the dash, i'm not sure what it goes back to when the battery goes flat or gets disconnected but it sounds like this is what has happened...

Perhaps the person selling the car doesn't know how to set it?

The is another date that is probably worth having a look at. There should be a delivery date in the front page of the service book next to the data sticker, that should let you know when the car was delivered to the dealer I believe.

I would worry about condition a lot more than age / millage.

fair play,

thanks again for advice.

just wary of horror story sales been saving for a long while

thanks again

[ QUOTE ]
fair play,

thanks again for advice.

just wary of horror story sales been saving for a long while

thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

David, just a thought...

Why not see if you can buy one from a member on here? There's a few for sale in theTrading post?

At least you can find out the history etc...

Only a thought...

Hope this helps
Rich.

okay

I am open to suggestions, where do I go to look, I'll have a gander now

cheers

Canyon

okay, Ive had a look at the trading post. Nothing I could see for me just now.
I have been searching on autotrader for the following:-

S3/BLACK/60K MAX MILEAGE/5YRS MAX AGE/£12000ISH BUDGET.

Would prefer BOSE upgrade
electric seats/climate ctrl etc..
other than that as long as it has good service history I am v interested

(Im not too bothered about 225 as I will chip at some point anyway.)

If anyone can tell me if a) they know someone b) I am dreaming and I need to spend more money.

Everybody has a budget and mine is no more than £12000. So if anyone can tell me if there is any point in waiting a few more months, so that I can spend more, or stick with what I have, I would be most grateful

cheers

Canyon

I just paid 13K for a black 'X' Reg facelift with 58.5K miles with bose, leather. Make sure you get a facelift as they look more modern IMO.