Damn Brake Disc has cracked

Kodak

Reaction score
Right here we go the again the never ending wallet crushing audi s3 i have vented grooved drilled discs front and back and new pads no idea what brand all were on the car when i got it now after checking my front hub i noticed a huge crack in the disc now after looking about im kinda stumped i assume ill have to replace pads as well. my budget is £150 for discs and pads for the front, any advice greatly appreciated

Regards

Drilled discs crack because they're drilled after casting. When they see a lot of heat cycles they crack. Hence why a lot of places do dimpled discs so you get the look but none of the issues.

Theyre pointless anyway you're best bet is to stick with plain discs like oem or pagid/Zimmerman discs from gsf/euros snd obviously audi/VW.

yeah your right about the hole its cracked straight through one, i was looking at some brembo max discs and pads can get them delivered for about £160? anyone had any experiences with these?

Drilled discs crack because they're drilled after casting. When they see a lot of heat cycles they crack. Hence why a lot of places do dimpled discs so you get the look but none of the issues.

Theyre pointless anyway you're best bet is to stick with plain discs like oem or pagid/Zimmerman discs from gsf/euros snd obviously audi/VW.

Exactly. No road car needs drilled discs. They look fancy but in reality they are pants.

You can get a pair of pagid discs from ECP for 67.50.

spend your money on ferodo ds2500 pads from Bill @ B5.

Reactions: superkarl and Jason.s
I just got some pagid discs from ecp and there £90

I just got some pagid discs from ecp and there £90

If you used the code monthend25 you get 25% off. It's plastered on the ECP website. You can reserve online and pickup or they do free delivery.

Liam

Ive just bought some cheap OE discs £55 delivered anyway so I have a little more to spend on pads but not enough for the DS2500 I have at very most £110 for a set of front pads and in that price range the only ones I can see are EBC red & yellow stuff and Brembo sport on pads at around £110 anyone had any experience with any or could suggest better and I know some will be thinking save the extra for the ds2500 but really bad time for coin at the moment wife not pleased at all about this next cash injection in to my black beauty so no more money available at moment :)

mintex pads are good mate, check them out.

I would only run Ds2500/3000 or the mintex

stay away from the ebc pads.

They last as long as a cigarette

If you've only got £110, it's only going to cost £30 more to get some DS2500 and considering the cost of a tank of petrol - it's not a huge amount more to go for the DS2500s. Go on! You know you want to! :)

lol your not wrong about wanting them but wife will kill me I just spent over £500 on front and rear components and amps and had to buy powerflex bushes for the anti roll bar and a new DV as my split r was leaking vac and to top it off the brake assist vaccum line had cracked and that was a further £40 :(

also where can you get them for £140 that seems like a much better price than I was getting

mintex pads are good mate, check them out.

I would only run Ds2500/3000 or the mintex

stay away from the ebc pads.

They last as long as a cigarette
forgot to say I checked my pads and they are mintex I really need better than what I have after doing 5k on them I don't really rate thos pads my brothers golf stops better on oe pads.

depends on which type pads you have. I had my in for ages and never had any problems.

I think I may have a higher spec one then but cant remember the model name/number

yeah you maybe right as I cant imagine the previous owner spending a £1 more than he had to looked like the oil had been in there years the Ba$t4rd. ive only had the car 3 month its had 2 changes

yeah you maybe right as I cant imagine the previous owner spending a £1 more than he had to looked like the oil had been in there years the Ba$t4rd. ive only had the car 3 month its had 2 changes

Drop the sump and change the pick-up pipe!!!

same oil for 3 years....... :faint:

Drop the sump and change the pick-up pipe!!!

same oil for 3 years....... :faint:
lol I did drop and clean it but didn't replace pickup pipe just cleaned it best I could and gave it some Castrol Edge 5w30 and last week I tried mobile one and its ok it does warm up faster than Castrol but I feel next time I will defo go back to Castrol Edge

Last edited:
right ive ordered ebc red stuff yes I know they are not as good as the ds2500 but they are only £75 delivered so ive ordered some goodridge hoses £60 aswell and 2 ltrs of ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid DOT 4 £10 per/ltr so hopefully that will give me a lot better stopping power than my current setup.