replica wheels question

• Thread starter imported_glen_jai
  • Start date
I

imported_glen_jai

Does anyone know if replica wheels are more subjective to corrosion, buckling, and/or weigh more than geniune audi ones? (or any other problems with replicas?).

Also, I'm interested in the mtm alloys, and was wondering if anyone knows of a place that does replicas of those (in 18 inch)? I've seen Leigh Tyres mentioned around the place, but he doesn't seem to do mtm replicas.

Cheers.

I though long and hard about the whole replica thing.. and studied different reps.

The main problem with them is that unless someone can recommend a good vendor, and even a good batch, you really dont know what you'll end up with. They really seem to vary. Some people state that they're as good as OEM, some say better, some say that OEM centres fit without modification, some say they dont...

I gathered from other peoples conversations that buying reps is a bit of a minefield...

I've never seen MTM reps either, probably because they're stamped MTM on an arm, so would be too obvious if they were copies without a stamped MTM, or copyright infringing if they were.

You can get MTM replicas in 18" minus the 'MTM' logo on the spoke of course, the 19" versions are not proper replicas though, with a different lip and the groove doesnt go all the way round the spokes.
Try Rochford tyres and look for 007's for the MTM reps.

The question regarding replica alloy quality, all I can say is that I have had 5 sets of replica wheels in the last 10 years of driving, and not had a problem with any of them, with the last three sets being on my Passat Estate. If you look after them, they will stay good, avoid potholes where possible, and don't use alloy wheel cleaners(Acids and Alkalines?) when cleaning.

Thanks guys.
I'm slowly swaying away from the idea of buying replicas, due to the reasons mentioned.
At the same time though, I don't fancy paying £475 a wheel from Audi.
I'm welcome to hearing more advice from anyone though.

why don't you get something like the original sportec wheels from AmD or the original MTM wheels they'll be less than the Audi ones and probably better.

Or get some nice BSS alloys they seem to make a few that are light, strong and look ok the the S3 / A3.

the mtm reps are indeed 007`s and both leigh and roachford do them. Leigh use to list them on ebay at one time don`t know if they still do now

Got the 19" Leigh 007s on my S3. £945 with Dunlop SP sports.
MTM wheels £300+vat each. Bit of a difference.
Talked to a guy from Elite Direct about the copyright issue, and his response was that the Italians really don't give a toss about copying anyone !
Its all down to how much you want to spend. 19" 007s really are quite different to original MTMs though.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Got the 19" Leigh 007s on my S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance of any pics. I am currently in the market for wheels and would like some inspiration /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks

Aaron

I've spoken to a few distributors of replica and original wheels like AMD and QST, and they both admit that the replicas are inferior in quality to originals. Some much more inferior, depending on the manufacturer of the replicas. Plus they are definitely heavier.

Not someone who likes to compromise on weight and quality, but wanting 18" to keep to the same rolling radius. I think I'm going to opt for the Sportec Mono 18s. They look really good quality, and AMD are offering 10% off these wheels at the moment.
Not cheap though. Anyone bought these?

Here's a picture if anyone is interested. Comes in dark grey as well I believe.
AMD - £1200 odd for 18" set of 4 (just wheels).

sportec.jpg

They are really nice wheels mate! There is a pic of these on a S3 knocking about somewhere....

I'll try and dig it out..

They are nice but look too similar to those OZ ones.

I know sportec has a great name with regard to VAG cars but to be honest i'd never heard of them until i bought an audi so i couldn't justify that sort of money gola boots

Cool. Cheers Dicky.
Having a shot of a set on an s3 would give me a good idea.
I've only got boring Avus on mine at the mo. So its not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when".

Hi Nervus.
Which are the Oz ones? Do they look very similar?
Though I've read that Oz wheels are quite prone to buckling.
Anyone had any experience with this?

Here's a couple...

4.jpg

5.jpg

There are some more... I'll try and find them!

Mmmm... How sexy is that!
I suspect that they are the 19" wheels. Puts the speedo out, and hampers acceleration abit I would expect.
Looks blumin' ace though.

19" wheels would effect the speedo by approx. 2%, which is 2mph @ 100mph, which is nothing really, probably makes the speedo more accurate lol.
The Sportecs, would have I thought, would have little effect on accelleration, as they are light weight?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Nervus.
Which are the Oz ones? Do they look very similar?
Though I've read that Oz wheels are quite prone to buckling.
Anyone had any experience with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a set of 6-spoke OZ Racing on my mk2 golf gti. They were superb wheels, and lasted 3 years during my ownership of the car. When i sold the car, they still looked like new.

Those sportec alloys are awesome. Looking to get them for my darling ...when I have a spare ££££ that is. Had a look at all others but those are the best looking ones IMO

With 19" wheels, on a profile of 235/35 19, their is a 40.21mm (greater) difference in the rolling circumference, compared with the standard 225/45 17.

This may not affect the speedo significantly, but I'm sure acceleration will be affected.
So this is why I'd opt for 18". Though 19"'s do look better.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know if replica wheels are more subjective to corrosion, buckling, and/or weigh more than geniune audi ones? (or any other problems with replicas?).

Also, I'm interested in the mtm alloys, and was wondering if anyone knows of a place that does replicas of those (in 18 inch)? I've seen Leigh Tyres mentioned around the place, but he doesn't seem to do mtm replicas.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would almost certainly make the speedo more accurate wouldn't it? The acceleration compromise wouldn't e as noticeable as the ride/handling compared to 18's, i would have thought so anyway.

Yes, I believe the speedo would be "more" accurate, as they're always calibrated to be lower than actual (for some reason or other).

Sorry, I meant higher than actual. So the reading is faster than the actual speed.

[ QUOTE ]
(for some reason or other).

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason is that making completely accurate speedos would cost more money due to the tighter tolerances, and completely accurate speedos aren't really necessary for normal road cars when you think about it. However they're not allowed to under-read at all (or you might inadvertently break the speed limit) so they deliberately make them over-read a bit.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(for some reason or other).

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason is that making completely accurate speedos would cost more money due to the tighter tolerances, and completely accurate speedos aren't really necessary for normal road cars when you think about it. However they're not allowed to under-read at all (or you might inadvertently break the speed limit) so they deliberately make them over-read a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The downside to over-reading (read somewhere that new audis can over read by 10%!!!!) is that the mileage will go up 10% quicker too, not helping servicing costs, and depreciation.

The other thing here that will have an effect is that with tyre wear etc you can't have an accurate speedo all the time!

I think the accuracy of the speedo's is ok, it's just the calibration that is set high for the reasons stated, can blame them if you get caught speeding and wear on tyres etc.

The mileage being wrong is a bit of a pain, but if all of the cars do it the same it shouldn't really affect like for like comparisions on used cars.

[ QUOTE ]
The mileage being wrong is a bit of a pain, but if all of the cars do it the same it shouldn't really affect like for like comparisions on used cars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you're running 19s... so big wheels make cars depreciate less!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

However, the car was designed with a specific rolling radius in mind.
Changing this with a bigger wheel may upset the intended dynamics of the vehicle.

With 18" wheels, the difference is negligible. (70 Mph -> 70.3 Mph ~ 0.4 %).
With 19", it'll be significant (70 Mph -> 72.5 Mph ~ 2 %).
Though more significantly will be the detrimental affect it'll have on acceleration.

[ QUOTE ]
However, the car was designed with a specific rolling radius in mind.
Changing this with a bigger wheel may upset the intended dynamics of the vehicle.

With 18" wheels, the difference is negligible. (70 Mph -> 70.3 Mph ~ 0.4 %).
With 19", it'll be significant (70 Mph -> 72.5 Mph ~ 2 %).
Though more significantly will be the detrimental affect it'll have on acceleration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for an S3, the widely accepted view (on here) is that 18's are the best compromise, and are the optimum for handling. Moving above that to 19's the ride and handling start to suffer, but I suppose if you are buying 19's then, the looks/ride trade off is acceptable.

All about priorities....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you're running 19s... so big wheels make cars depreciate less!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The saving on depreciation is offset by the cost of 19" tyres - ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif