Jet washing engine bay?

amoani

Reaction score
Has anyone jet washed there engine before to remove road grime and oil/grease. I am a bit apprehensive as i do not want to damage anything. I know you should wrap the alternator in a waterproof bag of some sort, but i also do not want to damage the coil packs or any other electronics/electrics. Can anyone give me any tips before i attempt it or advise me why i should not do it?
Thanks.

Aaron

NOT a good idea!!

If you want to clean it, use a sponge and cleaning fluid of some sort (muc off works well, and degreaser spray) but do not jet wash under the bonnet.

Rich

Used to get this done on my old MkII GTI, but I wouldn't recommend it on any kind of modern car as there are to many electronic bits and electrical connections to be hit with water at high pressure.
Don't do it!

Get it professionally steam claened and rewaxed, DO NOT JET WASH IT.
Personally I wouldn't jetwash the outside oif the car either as it can take great chunks of lacquer off if it gets under a stone chip. I had to have my bonnet reprayed as a result!

any where near electrics is not a good idea, so pretty much under bonnet is bad. but if you need to clean it get a degreaser and a paint brush or ideally one that comes with alloy wheel cleaner ( i know them as sash brushes) and work it in, then carefully rinse. it's ok to blast water at some lump of metal but forcing it under pressure into electrics and cable connectors is going to cause problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

for water spray to rinse, i use a pump spray or similar... Avoids drowning anything!!

Rich

Thanks for the info chaps. Im glad i didnt go ahead with it before seeking advice. I have done it on some of my older cars and had no problems but as stated above more modern cars have a lot more to go wrong with them.
Thanks

Aaron