Question about Forge DV orientation/holding boost.

HTC

Reaction score
Website
www.b3ta.com
I have a Forge FMCL007P diverter valve fitted to my AGU engined car (not chipped)

Recently I have been experiencing a less boost read on my gauge and the car has felt slower. I thought I would check the DV as I have had it for over a year.

Looking at the diagram below, when I blow into part 1 of the valve pressure is leaked out. When I blow into part 2 it does not leak any air.

FMCL007P_small.jpg

Now part 1 is connected to the boosted side of the turbo so as a test I have swapped round the connections so part 1 now sits in the TIP and part 2 sits in the boosted area. Boost is now held fine and the gauge and feel is back to normal.

My question is that, should the valve always be fitted this way round?? The seals look okay to me.

Also I am booked in to have the car remapped next week, so is this valve going to be able to hold boost or do I need a stronger spring fitted??

Thanks.

I had a similiar problem when I first fitted mine. Forge actually phoned me up after I emailed them through their website, and as a result i switched them around.
Now, when I took the car to AMD to get it remapped, they told me that I had the DV the wrong way round. They put it back the way it was originally fitted and it now works fine.

If someone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it!

I thought I'd call Forge to see what they say.

They have recommended that I fit a repair kit consisting of all the seals and springs. If fact they are sending one out to me free of charge, which I thought was rather cool!

With regards to the orientation they say that it doesn't matter which way round the piston type is fitted. The reason VW/Audi fit it the way they do is purly to reduce noise when boost is released. Other manufactures fit their standard valves opposite to VW/Audi.
Fitting the valve in reverse will just cause a louder dump sound. More of a "chirp".

Also called jabba who say they can look at the valve if I'm still having any probs whilst I'm there.

[ QUOTE ]
With regards to the orientation they say that it doesn't matter which way round the piston type is fitted. The reason VW/Audi fit it the way they do is purly to reduce noise when boost is released. Other manufactures fit their standard valves opposite to VW/Audi.
Fitting the valve in reverse will just cause a louder dump sound. More of a "chirp".

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if this apply's to a oem diaphragm type aswell? As i would like to achieve a little bit more of a noise from the diverter valve without resorting to a dump valve.
Thanks

Aaron

Guys,

Take a look at this article. It may help explain things for you.

http://dv.mistertam.com/12.htm

And btw I changed my piston type back to the diaphram type (OEM uprated N varriant) as I thought it may have contributed to my lack off boost. The problem was actually a hole in the turbo outlet pipe, however fitting the valve the wrong way around did seem to make my car hold boost a little better and therefore smoother to drive.

Thanks for the link. Loadsa good info.

I'm gonna try the repair kit on mine as see how I go. If it doesn't work out then I may go for the new "eliminator" valve which forge will be releasing soon. Its a diaphram type but they are testing new materials. They say that it will have a fast response like the OE item, and will never tear. You don't have to service it like the piston types either.

For now I'm going to run my valve reversed as the standard "green" spring fitted to mine is rated at 26psi, so way more than I should need.
It just seems to make way more sense to have the boost side acting against the bottom of the piston which can cope with the pressure rather than relying on some rubber o rings.

amoani, if you want a bit more noise, you could try induction kit. If you do though, get one that takes the air from out of the engine bay area so you don't suck in hot air.

I have a Forge FMDVR fitted and their instructions recommended fitting it the 'opposite' way to standard... from what I remember it didn't say why other than for best operation.

HTC... having a stronger spring that you actually need fitted may mean the car underperforms since the amount of boost needed to open the valve is higher (due to the spring) and therefore the valve will not be opening all the way. I'm sure that was in the instructions somewhere too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

T

I have one of these fitted. Had a boost leak and started the process of elimination by checking all the pipes and then swapping back to the OEM DV. All of a sudden the car pulled much harder ( v.noticeable ). This lead me to think that maybe the standard spring was too weak. Guy from Forge said the spring that comes with the DV007P is a match for the OEM, but mine felt a lot weaker. I now use the red spring. With this, on small openings of the throttle, i.e. 2000rpm , when the throttle is snapped shut, you can just (and I mean just) hear the turbo stalling. A little more boost and you can hear it dump the boost.
As I said, the car pulls much harder now but it still dumps.
Its a mapped S3 BTW.

Chris.

If you had the piston type and it was fitted oem way round then I guess you were experiencing the same problem as me.

You probably would have solve your prob by reversing the valve?

I'm not going to stick with the standard forge spring for the reasons you and tim have suggested above.

Repair kit should be here today or tomorrow, so I post my findings.