catch can only collecting water?

Tim_Attard

Reaction score
Hello guys and girls.

Installed a can about a week back now went reasonable ok kinda :/ but im doing some work and thought id check it over and found the hose from the filter housing has quite a lot of water from condensation in it, i have pored it out and then checked the can and when i emptied it it looked like this: IMG 20130424 165933 7401 is this normal?

yep looks normal
leave it a month and check again

i does still collect a lot of water in the hoses as well is this also normal?

Has anybody who has installed a catch tank venting to atmosphere (i.e. no vacuum pull from the TIP or inlet manifold) found this in their catch tank?

IMG_0262.jpg

Has anybody who has installed a catch tank venting to atmosphere (i.e. no vacuum pull from the TIP or inlet manifold) found this in their catch tank?

IMG_0262.jpg

I have, but only when I've forgotten to empty the can for a while. The thicker sludge and the watery stuff seperates as it cools down so you end up with a load of water coming out then the sludge.

I now try to empty the can at least once a month and when the engine is warm as the can will be warm and the mixture drains a bit more freely.

thanks, i think i've only seen posts off people stating they haven't caught anything or only some water making me think this catch can mod wasn't up to much

thanks, i think i've only seen posts off people stating they haven't caught anything or only some water making me think this catch can mod wasn't up to much

Anything it catches and stops from going back into your engine is a bonus. The difference between how my boost hoses used to be and how they now are is unbelievable!

its 100% worthwhile i was just unsure if i had done it right but i can tell you just from the amount of s##t i took out the orgianl hose its worth it

Same here - I tend to empty the can once a month or so after the engine's warmed up. Typically I just get some brown water that smells of oil/petrol fumes, with occasionally some thicker content dispersed in the liquid. All seems OK to me in the pic above.

I can't bear seeing these threads with pictures of the gloop that's going back into my engine.

I've just sent Mr Saikou some of my hard earned cash and he said he will send me one of his sought after catch cans :p

Wooohoooo!

Reactions: Tim_Attard and dre_S3
I checked my catch can the other day and it was bone dry :/

I'm pretty sure its set up right as the outlet pipe (vent to atmos) is pumping out gases, so i presume its doing its job.

Could it be my engine is really healthy and not pumelling aload of rubbish out of it or do we think there is something a miss as to why the catch can is still bone dry?

Shaun.

I'd say that's normal for this time of year. I usually only get mine filling up during the cooler months.

Mine still filled up straight after an engine rebuild so I'd be more worried if yours is bone dry!

When I first fitted my can I thought the drain screw was shut when it was actually open. I thought I was opening it to drain It and it was bone dry. I then noticed oil below it where it had been draining out onto my sub frame. Could this be happening to you?

Also do you still have the 1 way hockey puck valve?

Mine still filled up straight after an engine rebuild so I'd be more worried if yours is bone dry!

When I first fitted my can I thought the drain screw was shut when it was actually open. I thought I was opening it to drain It and it was bone dry. I then noticed oil below it where it had been draining out onto my sub frame. Could this be happening to you?

Also do you still have the 1 way hockey puck valve?

Well, my catch can is slightly different in terms of that mine has a level checker tube so that i can see when it needs draining. This has got an oily tint to it now but doesn't seem to be filling up.

The butterfly drain valve is screwed up to the top (the way it came). I checked the drain tube with my finger first to check if it had been on a constant drain as you say but it was bone dry, so i then opened it up right to the bottom of the thread and nothing came out at all.

So i pulled off the pipe from the rocker cover that goes into the inlet and again, bone dry with no major oil residue on the tip of the rocker cover outlet, which then suggests its not pumping aload of rubbish into the catch can, although the pipes did have the oily fumes when sniffed.....

As for the hockey puck valve, that got binned and a blanking plug into the TIP where it used to go...

Phew.....finally drained something out of the can today :)

Reactions: Tim_Attard