AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dm forged rods

5th Gear

Status

Dm forged rods

Hi guys. Just wondering if these are any good. Very little info about them. I know most prefer the ie but these seem to he a bit cheaper so may aswell try to save a bit on this job i really dont want to do. Any info would be great thanks daz

2. # ADS
    ADS

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    theyre fine. from INA?

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    How much is a 'bit cheaper' out of interest? I'm getting tempted to go down the forged rods route later on this year.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwistof View Post
    How much is a 'bit cheaper' out of interest? I'm getting tempted to go down the forged rods route later on this year.
    rod 'kit' is sub £600

RIP S3dave

Status
    apparently narrower at the pin end than std rods (or IE's)... by some margin.
    had a call from a guy this morning asking if the 5mm (described) thinner than std was going to be ok... Less bush to pin for load spreading...

never used them myself (I use IE products) but them being narrower at small end/pin seem's curious to me.
    IE's/Std are 25mm wide for ref.

anyone got a DM one to measure and confirm the top thickness width?
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

5th Gear

Status
    I have a sneaky suspicion that DM, scat and IE rods are all made by the same place, probably in china, and the big companies sell them on as house brands. Even the eBay rods that are made in china look the same - now the eBay ones might be a copy

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    rod 'kit' is sub £600
    Is this the one on the Facebook group?

If so, then that seems like the best kit out there in terms of value for money from what I've seen.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    ...just try and get rifle drilled ones of whatever you end up buying... its the sensible choice regardless of price IMO

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    had a call from a guy this morning asking if the 5mm (described) thinner than std was going to be ok... Less bush to pin for load spreading...

never used them myself (I use IE products) but them being narrower at small end/pin seem's curious to me.

glad i have Brutes

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    glad i have Brutes
    Me too :D

Rod twins...

<tuffty/>
    superkarl likes this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

4th Gear

Status
    Me too Karl. In fact bought them off Badger5.

Though I didn't find many people in the UK, on the internet, who have used Brutes. Either way they seemed good quality so threw them in. Lol.
    superkarl likes this.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that DM, scat and IE rods are all made by the same place, probably in china, and the big companies sell them on as house brands. Even the eBay rods that are made in china look the same - now the eBay ones might be a copy
    IE rods are definitely made in house in the US. I know this as mine were delayed for a further 4 weeks while IE setup their workshops with the equipment to make them on site. I do believe that they were paying someone else to produce them before this (April 2012) but think it was still a US based manufacturer.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status

Doesnt Prawn run DM rods???

if he does then they are good enough for me!
    Word!!!

My A3/Martys Golf would smash that, and this guys £7000 GT9743 supercharged love machine.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    IE rods are definitely made in house in the US. I know this as mine were delayed for a further 4 weeks while IE setup their workshops with the equipment to make them on site. I do believe that they were paying someone else to produce them before this (April 2012) but think it was still a US based manufacturer.
    they were probably waiting for their next shipment to arrive
    I can't believe the still haven't got their cams in stock. Glad I didn't wait for them. Apparently they were buying blanks from Jordan and were waiting for more blanks to be made. Well that's the story I got.

I still support them as they have tried and tested the stuff they sell and it must be good quality for them to put their name on things.
    I have found a few retailers in the US can get you IE parts for a bit cheaper than IE sellers them for.

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Doesnt Prawn run DM rods???

if he does then they are good enough for me!
    yea he does..

why would you make the pin end narrower tho is my question... Higher load on the pin/bush from less surface area. Sure rod wont bend... but pin/bush wear and on BT builts (I mean proper BT) I would'nt choose a narrower section small end/pin rod combination.

Seemed curious thats all..
    so much so a garage fitting some to an ASNer called the owner to question why so much thinner than the std ones they were replacing them with.. Never touched one myself so no idea of their dims..

bill@badger5.co.uk

MAN OF STEEL

Status

why would you make the pin end narrower tho is my question... Higher load on the pin/bush from less surface area. Sure rod wont bend... but pin/bush wear and on BT builts (I mean proper BT) I would'nt choose a narrower section small end/pin rod combination.
    potential andrew situation.

RIP S3dave

Status
    he bent full fat pins! EAK!

bill@badger5.co.uk

6th Gear

Status
    yea he does..

Seemed curious thats all..
    so much so a garage fitting some to an ASNer called the owner to question why so much thinner than the std ones they were replacing them with.. Never touched one myself so no idea of their dims..

Totally agree with you bill, doesnt make sense. would have thought they would be the same thickness as OEM as least. You hvae another valid point there. may be ok for k04 hybrid levels but for a stupid size turbo like you and tuffty have, it must be worth getting the a better spec (dimension wise)
    Word!!!

My A3/Martys Golf would smash that, and this guys £7000 GT9743 supercharged love machine.

Status
    I wouldn't even want them on a stock K04 setup!
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    stupid size turbo like you and tuffty have, it must be worth getting the a better spec (dimension wise)
    please refrain from such language and the big turbos

Neutral

Status
    Does nobody use the Cat Cams Forged Rods??

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sje00 View Post
    Does nobody use the Cat Cams Forged Rods??
    Forged Steel H Section Conrods for Audi & VW Engines

They look the same as IE,DM and scat

6th Gear

Status
    please refrain from such language and the big turbos
    Im just slightly jealous....

Anyway a k03s is plenty. just ask Jardo
    Word!!!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Forged Steel H Section Conrods for Audi & VW Engines

They look the same as IE,DM and scat
    ... and expensive with no mention of if they are rifle drilled...

<tuffty/>

RIP S3dave

Status
    Totally agree with you bill, doesnt make sense. would have thought they would be the same thickness as OEM as least. You hvae another valid point there. may be ok for k04 hybrid levels but for a stupid size turbo like you and tuffty have, it must be worth getting the a better spec (dimension wise)
    I dont know why but I presumed (sight unseen) that all the aftermarket rods would be pretty much the same top width at the pin as std.. The ones I have used being Pauter,Brute, IE, Eurospec, and Scat have all been.. Had it not been for the call I received this morning I would have continued to think they would all be similar.. but DM for some reason (or at least the ones related to the call I received) were significantly narrower which worried the fitting garage to the point they called the customer, who in turn called me to ask) - his applicatio is k04, relentless etc.. and no more than a hybrid, so all things being equal they are at least rifle drilled so lubed up top, and not going to see mega loads/power and wont bend/snap

I am sure ina will be along sometime to clarify -

bill@badger5.co.uk

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    ... and expensive with no mention of if they are rifle drilled...

<tuffty/>
    they're not RD fyi

bill@badger5.co.uk

5th Gear

Status
    Hmmm some interesting info here. Theres lot of speculation of most these rods being made in china and the same. But the product being finalised else where in the usa etc. Who knows. How hard is it to get a non rifle drilled rod rifle drilled and are they still safe after? Ive debated what way to go about getting rods and if at all a million times and its driving me mad. Sooo much conflicting advice on this. I want better rods rifle drilled. Daz

Status
    Why are people trying to get cheap non drilled rods and get them drilled? To save a few quid? The rods are so important to the engine that for the sake of saving yourself maybe £150-£200 instead of buying IE or equivalent drilled rods is madness! At the end of the day the labour to fit them is not going to change.

I think that if you're trying to scrimp too much on components like connecting rods you might need to think twice about opening up the engine...
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Why are people trying to get cheap non drilled rods and get them drilled? To save a few quid? The rods are so important to the engine that for the sake of saving yourself maybe £150-£200 instead of buying IE or equivalent drilled rods is madness! At the end of the day the labour to fit them is not going to change.

I think that if you're trying to scrimp too much on components like connecting rods you might need to think twice about opening up the engine...
    its like buying a Chinese oil pump, you know it's going to fail, the gamble is when?

Status
    its like buying a Chinese oil pump, you know it's going to fail, the gamble is when?
    The cost of the rods themselves isn't so bad. I know rifle drilled are a bit extra compared to non drilled but it's te labour that's the killer.

I know it's not easy for everyone to do their own engine work but I don't think I'd have gone past having a remap if I didn't have the means and the confidence to build my own engine as it just costs so much paying a garage.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    And yet people still buy relentless manifolds

<tuffty/>
    s3dave likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Tbh guys my intentions were always to buy done. Hence my original question. But when they are all the same rod its tempting to stray. U can get rods same as branded ones for around 200. Then get them drilled. Thats quite a saving. Plus ive had month after month of big bills with the bloody thing and for another likely 1k of what i consider a job with no seen improvement is it really hard to understand why im trying to save money. I havent even had it for 2 months for fixing bits!! Anyway. Ill go ie or dm rifle drilled while in the states. Thanks all!!
    dusty likes this.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1855810
    And yet people still buy relentless manifolds

<tuffty/>
    When a mani fails you don't ruin your engine
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by daz-20vt View Post
    Tbh guys my intentions were always to buy done. Hence my original question. But when they are all the same rod its tempting to stray. U can get rods same as branded ones for around 200. Then get them drilled. Thats quite a saving. Plus ive had month after month of big bills with the bloody thing and for another likely 1k of what i consider a job with no seen improvement is it really hard to understand why im trying to save money. I havent even had it for 2 months for fixing bits!! Anyway. Ill go ie or dm rifle drilled while in the states. Thanks all!!
    Theyre good reasons mate but unless you can guarentee the cheaper rods are of the same quality as the big brands you're taking a risk. The job of changing rods themselves doesn't just stop at the cost of the rods. You'll need to buy a load of other parts like a head kit and belts etc.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    unless its the intake mani on tfsi, because they go

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    No but you nearly sold up because of it ;P

<tuffty/>

5th Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=Westy;1855839]Theyre good reasons mate but unless you can guarentee the cheaper rods are of the same quality as the big brands you're taking a risk. The job of changing rods themselves doesn't just stop at the cost of the rods. You'll need to buy a load of other parts like a head kit and belts etc.[/QUOTE

No you are right. At least if anything happens my rods are garanteed. They wont be if i drilled them. Plus its a one off job so i wont be doing it again. Ive read into it and i know theres more needed but the bulk of the money is the rods i think so ill make a big saving on shiiping etc so that should pay for the rest. Having said that i can see things becoming expensive when i do rods. only thing stopping me doing a hybrid was rods. but too many bending on std turbo now. I cringe everytime i boot it lol

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1855850
    No but you nearly sold up because of it ;P

<tuffty/>
    That's just me. I think about selling up most days even when the car is running well lol
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

SEAT owner

Status
    I have a set of Issam's Rifle drilled DM rods for my stroker build, which havent been fitted yet
    I also have some OE rods from an APY S3 i broke if anyone wants comparison photos/dimensions

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    That's just me. I think about selling up most days even when the car is running well lol
    All been there dude

<tuffty/>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast