3" MAF Unmapped Car

WorkInProgress

Reaction score
Just won a 3" alloy MAF pipe line on Ebay, is there any benefit to fitting this to an unmapped car or should I just hang on to it until mapping time?

If you fit it unmapped you'll under fuel like crazy and side lots of damage and problems matey. Don't do it!

larger mafs should only be fitted for mapping, not before.

Reactions: WorkInProgress
Could i run a 3" MAF on my stage1 map prawn? As I'm wanting to go stage2 I also have saab red top injectors to go in at some point.

sorry for the thread jump btw

Niki told me when I did mine if im jus fitting the maf then dont, but if your fitting injectors at the same time then it would be ok as a temp as this will help stop it under fueling.. Better to leave it and fit the same week as you get mapped if not on the day of the map

Better to leave it and fit the same week as you get mapped if not on the day of the map

definitely not the same week dude! Not even the morning before you leave! It only takes one journey running dangerously mean to blow it up.

In theory, by fitting the larger MAF it'll under fuel by 38% or there abouts, the d u can compensate up to 25%, but that still leaves a 13% miss match to deal with. Adding merger maf AND injectors as you say is technically safer, but its a non calculated bodge at best, you know you've not got enough fuel, But you don't know how much, so you add injectors to add more fuel, but again, you don't know how much!
It's of guesswork, crossed fingers, and hopes and prayers involved on that one. Better to just leave it id say!

Yes. Logs will show you increased airflow, and you'll think that your gained, but in reality the airflow isn't smooth enough and I think bills dyno testing showed losses despite the airflow gains.

Is this a bad thing Bill? (excuse my ignorance)

unstable (non laminar) across sensor element which in turn may well mess with the fueling

likely a bad thing.. Not had +ve experience of non screened larger MAF tubes personally - It reads "higher" yet inaccurate airflow

Would something like this help matters: -

epavapab.jpg