A3 8L - ASZ 2003 PD TDI - All the problems you can get

Lacee

Reaction score
Greetings to All

Try to make it short (won't make it :laugh:).
Bought the car in February this year. It was more than a bargain! My first Audi and PD TDI. I knew it would have a few probs but now its more than you can imagine.

First of all, blinking sign on dash - laptop (VAG) says it's only around 70-80 fault codes. :blink: Still the car was working, consuming fairly well and runs 'fast'. ESP/ABS is not functioning (should be a sensor failure possibly) also water temperature gauge is faulty.
But 85 codes, c'mon! Here is a few from the list: AC F129, temperature sensor vent. V42, sunlight sensor G107, Airbags 7008, central locking D16, interior lights, navigation, parking system A3 RDW D18, rear right rpm sensor G44, ABS, quattro control (?!), and so on.

TO be honest, AC is not working, also the small lights above my head is not working. Parking aid was working until last week, now it only makes the constant noise. It is not quattro so no idea why it says quattro control fault. Navigation probably not wired.

The biggest one is I guess that I found out that above 130 Kph (~80 mph) I am losing the turbo boost. After a restart it's back but I can't do speeding right now :D

I'd appreciate any advice except burning it down :)
Cheers
L.

Got a proper list of the fault codes? preferably from a scan with VCDS?

As mentioned in the other thread your VNT could be sticking and overboosting putting the ECU into limp mode...

Scan the car using VCDS, use the links in the stickies to research the fault codes (link to this thread is also in my sig) and post up the results

<tuffty/>

I do have the list, however it was read with a Hungarian software therefore most of the fault codes useless for you I think. But I'll get them today somehow with the code numbers.

I'll be back with the results. Thanks for your fast response and help!

Got a proper list of the fault codes? preferably from a scan with VCDS?

As mentioned in the other thread your VNT could be sticking and overboosting putting the ECU into limp mode...

Scan the car using VCDS, use the links in the stickies to research the fault codes (link to this thread is also in my sig) and post up the results

<tuffty/>

have you cleared them and seen whats come back? sounds obvious but some people miss that it could have all the codes from its whole life stored if they've never been wiped as far as quattro i dunno whats going on there??? check its the right ecu maybe?

Yeah, I am thinking about the same as for the quattro thing, perhaps an incorrect ECU version, but still unclear the whole story. The car is from germany by the way.

I had no chance clearing the codes then checking again. I have no VAG or VCDS around. A friend read it for me last time. Since then I have the parking aid failure and the turbo boost issue as new probs.

Would it be a VNT problem for real, what should I do?

not sure.... the vcds cable is only 6 quid on ebay uk, the software is a free download from rosstech! take a look mate... mayby your friend used his code reader wrong and got quattro up that way!?

True! The reader could be wrong as well (the firend is a mechanic thou') but tomorrow I am taking the car to a Vw-Audi garage, I just wanted to know a bit more in advance and also not willing to loose too much money on changing every single part.

Interesting fact I have a quattro glovebox door!

Nah, I do not think so. I'd rather say it has been put together from a diesel and a quattro... :ermm: but no way to find out the truth I guess.

So I just got it back from the service station. It turned out I have an incorrect ECU version probably from a quattro. Lots of wires have been unplugged and cut in half. Probably I have a stucking issue with the VNT as said by tuffty earlier. Turbo needs to be cleaned. Parking aid could be either the control box or wiring problem. Generator driver needs to be changed as well. ABS and ESP is not working, also control unit failure (not correct unit). Interior alarm is not working, there is no wiring to it at all. A/C compressor possibly wrong as well. None of the 10 airbags are working! Incorrect control unit again...

That is a fortune.

I need to sell it as cheap as they buy it. It is almost impossible to amend all of these things. Or it would cost the price of the car...

Totally dissapointed. But to be honest it was(the car) so cheap when I bought, I knew something similar is going on.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I need to take care of a few things.

I have been told that the turbo needs to be cleared/cleaned (?) also there is a valve that controls the pressure located near by the firewall. Can this cleaned too or it is better to change?

VNT... fairly normal to get clogged and normally symptomatic of over boost issues... as I already mentioned in the second post of this thread :)

<tuffty/>

Understood :) I was only wondering what to do with the valve since I have an error code with it as well.

VNT... fairly normal to get clogged and normally symptomatic of over boost issues... as I already mentioned in the second post of this thread :)

<tuffty/>