Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi A3 8L Speedometer and Fuel Gauge Fault. Video.

Please watch the video:

The fuel gauge is also faulty but it isn't noticeable in this video, but I get a constant beep reminder to refill the tank. Don't think it's a sensor fault, since I get the speed without any problems when using VAG-COM. Any suggestions to fix this? Replacing the Dash is currently out of budget.
    I am also considering an addon Speedo and fuel reader, any suggestions, for something that would fit discretely, somewhere in the dash.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I also had some like that with my Opel back in 2011. But this was wheel hub bearing issue.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacee View Post
    I also had some like that with my Opel back in 2011. But this was wheel hub bearing issue.
    Can it also affect the Fuel Gauge? The speedo fail at 60+ Speeds.

4th Gear

Status
    broken wire in the loom, will be between the speedo sensor in the box and under the battery, open the loom up and you will find it piece of p155

very common on A3s and mk4 golfs, have done a couple this month all ready dude
    ​Wish Rachel would let me have my TDI mk5 back

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    broken wire in the loom, will be between the speedo sensor in the box and under the battery, open the loom up and you will find it piece of p155

Please note that I am a noob so you have to give me a lot more help.
    Is it DIY friendly to fix the wire? Can you post some pics of where I find the wire and how to repair this?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post

Since this is a common fault you should probably make a Thread of how to fix this and ask moderators to make it a sticky.

4th Gear

Status
    Well wiring fault/breaks can happen anywhere in the loom, it's never always in the same place, ok, locate the speedo sensor on the gearbox it will be a 3 wire plug, remove the plastic cover and open the loom so you can trace the 3 wires all the way back to under the battery, most of the time the break is inbetween the last fixed point of the loom on the engine and the first fixed point on the chassis, I would use a continuity tester to check the wiring

4th Gear

Status
    You will find a broken wire, is it DIY friendly, I really don't know as in my eyes it's a walk in the park job others may not understand it, so on that count I can't answer that question

sorry

4th Gear

Status
    I had a similar problem with my speedo / rev counter. In my case it was a dodgy earth, the coil pack loom earth which is bolted to the rocker cover between two of the end coil packs. My bolt disappeared and wire was loose.

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

Reverse Gear

Status

What cables I need to pay attention to?

Reverse Gear

Status
    A little update

I noticed that I the speedo always fails near the same place when I am going to work, even if I don't get faster than 80kph. The speed will get back to normal, if I stop the car for 1 hour.

Reverse Gear

Status
    BUMP!
    One last try before I give up. If you can help me please do so.

Neutral

Status
    They don't look like the wires from the speedo sensor. If you remove the air filter box you should be able so see everything you need to get access too. On the back of the box you need to find the speedo sensor (it should have a cloth protective cover over it and is held in with a single bolt). The connector unplugs at the sensor and has three wires, this then travels up and over towards the battery, you have to check this, a multimeter so you could check to continuity should make things easier (as Phil suggested)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinCamMan View Post
    They don't look like the wires from the speedo sensor. If you remove the air filter box you should be able so see everything you need to get access too. On the back of the box you need to find the speedo sensor (it should have a cloth protective cover over it and is held in with a single bolt). The connector unplugs at the sensor and has three wires, this then travels up and over towards the battery, you have to check this, a multimeter so you could check to continuity should make things easier (as Phil suggested)
    I did remove the air filter, search for every wire that went into the gearbox, those are the only cables that go there. Will see what I can do about the multimeter. My gearbox is the 4 speed auto.

Neutral

Status
    Not familiar with the four speed auto box, only the S3 box. If you check the manuals on line and see if you can find out where the speedo sensor for an auto box is located. I'd imagine it should be similar.