Possibly Faulty Temp Gauge ?????

amicallef1991

Reaction score
Right,

Ive been seeing some strange goings on with my temp gauge.

Basically when i get in the car in the morning and the car is off my temp gauge needle is all the way off the markings.
When i then turn the car on it sits at 70 straight away.

When the engine is was i would expect it to be no hotter that 90, however the other day after driving for about 30 mins it went all the way up to 105 ish!

Now i think that this may be a misconfigured temp gauge given that my fuel gauge is also misconfigured by 1/4 of a tank.

Ive checked my coolant level and its sitting well above the min line. I have attached pics of the gauge when the car starts in the morning and when it got hot the other day. It went up a little higher but i haven't got a pic

Any ideas guys?

Thanks IMG 20130420 00241IMG 20130415 00212

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know roughly how long red powerflex dogbone bushes take to wear in? ive done around 300 miles on them and the vibrations went from very bad to bad and now there still worse than with the oem bushes i had!

Thanks

1000 miles?

Does anyone know if there is an official figure for wear in time?

Thanks

i got the yellow dunno if that makes a difference or not.

but mine took around month to bed in, i do around 250 miles a week.

it could be the CTS

Yeah from reading about i thought it could be the cts. Ive seen there is a secret mode in the climate control to show engine temp. if it matches the temp on the gauge then its all fine. if its out then there an issue whihc could be cts or temp sensor/ gauge.

is that the best way to pinpoint the issue?

Thanks

Ok,

Anyone know what the best setting in the climate control "secret" mode is to use to compare with the temp gauge on the dash? Im doing a 60 mile trip tomorrow and that would be a good time to monitor the differences.

here is a list of all of the secret modes AudiWorld Tech Articles

I was looking at 51 today and it was well off but this might not be the best one to use.

If this is a silly way then whats the best was of seeing if the CTS is a fault?

Thanks

hold the recirc button and the up arrow
then pressing the + button untill you get to the number you want.
then press the recirc button to show the data result
i think its 49 for coolent temp on mine.

I used this one

51Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) in deg C

it was showing 51deg and the dash gauge was showing 79deg. the gaugye was going up, didnt go down once but was only in the car for 10 mins.

when i got in the car the gauge was sittin at 70??? but when ive not been in the car for a longer time it the temp and fuel gauge go off the end of the scale. is this normal?

any suggestions?