8L A3 1.8t quattro, what are good beginner mods

Arwyn Palmer

Reaction score
Hey people thought I'd start this thread to try and help me and others, right here goes.
What are the best startup mod for the 8L a3 1.8t quattro, I know it may seem like a stupid question but with all the different mods out there I can't help but wonder where to start.
what I'm hoping to start here is a source of information all in one place on where to start, for example what make of part best place to get it from, and what order to do it in.

I hope this will get to be an invaluable source of information to any newbies to modding there a3 1.8t quattros.
Any links or helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

i will post on any mods I do myself and try to find links to information I found useful on my build.

Thank you

have a look at prawn,coastey,jay,miggz,reesy's build thread.

you'll get lots of inpiration...

few tips
cone filter,
fmic
turboback exhaust
remap

Right my mods already are a forge 007p recirculating DV and a BMC CDA air filter.
Next on my thoughts are
-coilovers
-alloys, 18s (got my heart set on fifteen52 tarmacs but still have a slight doubt about them)
-new TIP probably forge
-intercooler (unsure whether to get a small one or big 'wellycooler')
-remap
anything else that would be good please let me know

It all depends on what power you want. If you want 500 bhp start building for 500bhp

set a figure you want to reach then you can build to it

Aiming for hopefully about 300/350bhp, how much do you think it'll cost to get there? I've probably got 3.5k maybe 4k at a stretch what would you advise doing with that much? I will save up the same if not more to put into it later in the year

to make 300bhp you will need

Ko4 turbo, thats in tip top order
relentless mani
relentless 3in DP and decat
welly cooler
B5 tip
meth
and poss a large port head and mani
440 or 550cc injectors

for 350bhp you will need

hybrid Ko4 min
rods
and all of the above

also worth doing is a oil catch can
N249 delete
SIA delete

Been looking at the ko3-ko4 hybrids are they any good or should I go for a full ko4 conversion? Also what is the best wellycooler for a reasonable price lol thanks

Its not a case of which is better more a case of how much would I like to gain/spend. If you want 350+ skip the hybrid and go GT28 or whatever is fashionable these days, if your happy with 250-280 go k03 hybrid, and k04 or hybrid + all supporting mods will see you 280-340ish depending on your choice.
Do as Marty and Phil have said though, decide what you want first. Theres no point doing a k04 conversion then going bigger as you pay out twice, ebay gt28 and the relevant mods won't cost much more than a proper k04 conversion if starting from scratch and r-tech should get you some pretty mental figures from that lol

Been looking around and everything seems to be geared towards S3, will S3 stuff fit onto the a3 quattro? Also I can't seem to find a gt28 kit do you know good place to get one if not il probably go ko4