JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    2nd Gear

Status

Fans only working when air con on??

Hi there my mates car is having a few issues fans don't work unless air con is turned on bottom rad hose is cold too is boiling with temp gauge reading 120 on dash!!

done so far thermostat,temp sensor,rad fan switch and replaced fan controll moduel with a second hand one still same problem I did check water pump with my fingers seemed ok solid, torch in there cranked engine and was spinning ???
    no fault codes ect fuse box on top of battery checked /changed??
    Audi s3 8l 2003 silver,brembo brakes,custom front mount intercooler,forged rods,acl race bearings,3inch tip,forge 007p green spring 1 shim,5mm hubcentric spacers,pipewerx 3inch down pipe/200cell race cat,2.75 miltek back non resonated,new piston rings,n249delete,pcv venting too atmosphere,neuspeed quick shifter,uprated clutch/pressure plate...large port agu head,inline fuel pump

work left/relentless v3 manifold/wmi/blue haldex/antilag/launch controll/custom map!!!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I had same issue on my S3. Ended up being one of the contacts in the fuse box melting... Could not notice it until I removed the fuses... Have your checked this?

I had to replace the fuse box...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by harps21k View Post
    I had same issue on my S3. Ended up being one of the contacts in the fuse box melting... Could not notice it until I removed the fuses... Have your checked this?

I had to replace the fuse box...
    thanks for the reply but luckily enough its not my car this time it's my mate tt ill check tmorrow did your fans still work with air con on ?
    Audi s3 8l 2003 silver,brembo brakes,custom front mount intercooler,forged rods,acl race bearings,3inch tip,forge 007p green spring 1 shim,5mm hubcentric spacers,pipewerx 3inch down pipe/200cell race cat,2.75 miltek back non resonated,new piston rings,n249delete,pcv venting too atmosphere,neuspeed quick shifter,uprated clutch/pressure plate...large port agu head,inline fuel pump

work left/relentless v3 manifold/wmi/blue haldex/antilag/launch controll/custom map!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Darren. Yeh fan with air con were fine and didn't take much notice off it as I thought it was ok... Only when I was driving hard 1 day I noticed the temp gauge go above 110... Got really worried and started testing everything to find out fan would not kick in when temp was above 96c and they only worked with air con being turned on...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by harps21k View Post
    Hi Darren. Yeh fan with air con were fine and didn't take much notice off it as I thought it was ok... Only when I was driving hard 1 day I noticed the temp gauge go above 110... Got really worried and started testing everything to find out fan would not kick in when temp was above 96c and they only worked with air con being turned on...
    what number fuse??

1st Gear

Status
    It's is the fuse holder on top of the battery... But remove the fuses and check the contacts on the fuses and the contacts in the holder...
    As looking at the holder with the fuses in place didn't show any sign of the issue... But when I removed the fuses and check the contacts, they were melted...

4th Gear

Status
    There are some guides on the internet somewhere for checking the fans on these things.

If you disconnect the fan plugs there should be three pins (low and high speeds), you can check the resistance to make sure they're not burnt out or fubar.

You might also find it's the fan controller - there are various symptoms of the fans controller being knackered. Mine completely stopped all the fans from working at all.

As mentioned, the fuses on the battery are a common cause of fan failure.

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.