Open door indicator won't turn off?!

JCC1981

Reaction score

Just got in my car at lunch and my drivers side door indicator won't turn off, it says the door is open when its closed?!!?

anyone had this problem aswell? any idea how to fix it?

Thanks,

JC

I occassionally have this problem... more in the summer time when it's warm outside. I think it is a common problem.

door sensor, faulty microswitch, needs new door latch mechanism.

A common fault.

Heavily documented already on the forum. Use search.

Can anyone list the part number of the part required? Even better, can someone was has rectified this problem right a "DIY How To..."?

I had the same problem with my drivers side door and decided to sort it out over the weekend- got the door lock for 62.60 + VAT (Euro) from Audi and borrowed a friends garage....it took about 2-3 hours and was easy enough to do although there were a few heart in mouth moments when i wondered if i'd gone too far....i took some photos along the way which i will post soon....basically i went about it like this- I put window fully down, then i took off door card (screw on top left and right of door and two behind handle grab (remove screw to see these)- then lifted door card upwards and off the door- then disconnected all the electrics (block connectors- some stubborn!)...then undid four big hex bolts on subframe (at this stage as someone suggested previously I noted the position of the spacers at the hex bolts) and once all the bolts were off I swung the door frame (which includes window frame and mirror) away from the door....then I removed a plastic shield in front of the lock and disconnected rods, electrics, door pin at lock unit and undid two smaller hex bolts to free the lock assembly (these bolts are located at side of door- visible when door open)....switched the door lock and put it all back together....door lined up perfectly and everything is working as new....(I'm not saying this is the way to go about this job- there may well be an easier way but the method described above worked for me and it wasn't hard to do!)....

Sounds like the way I did it on mine. As you say, the alum wedges look like they need to be marked for location but they are crushed/marked anyway so its not too hard to reposition them correctly. Looks worse a job than it really is.

That's how I did it other than I left the window all the way up and once the window and frame was seperated from the door shell I taped it into the closed position (worked a treat) what did you guys do about the frame etc once seperated?

I just swung the frame into the 'closed door' position and rested it on a cardboard box which was just the right height to ensure no pull on wires entering the door frame from the door hinge area....and then left the door itself in the 'door open' position in order to get at the lock....

MikeA3, hey mate can you post some pics as I will be doing this soon, I've had two flat batteries from the door sensor thinking the door is open and it is beginning to upset me. If I slam the door a bit it seems to work but I'm taking the plunge and sorting it once and for all (I hope).

NecroEire- No bother!....i'll try get them posted over the weekend