Swapping MAF element from non-Bosch item

JudderMan

Reaction score
Had trouble getting the right MAF for my car even giving CTS (similar to TPS) the part number and taking the actual sensor into the shop. So, they only had a non-OE part and the housing has a 5mm x 2mm gap going into the airbox. I've read that some people keep their housing and just change the element but is it OK and will it work with a non-Bosch element? And what the hell are those two screws/bolts holding the element into the housing?

I know I should just get a Bosch which was the aim but CTS didn't have any and I'm away on Friday so I can't wait for them to order one.

I'll need to wait for a mate to help me as I smashed my shoulder on my bike so I can't really do anything at the moment, especially with only a dozy left hand.

Non Bosch one may not last very long. cant see why they had so much trouble with replacing the MAF.
I bought genuine one not long back from TPS and was £70 all in.

To be honest I think the guy was dodgy as he tried to charge £60 even though 5 minutes previously he said it was £55.25 (and that's what I paid after pulling him up on it). Think they just wanted the one off the shelf gone. I have an AUM and even though they used my reg they said all of them are the same, which I doubt as if you look on eBay there are ones that fit AGU/other codes that don't fit AUMs.

Might just take it back and go to Audi.

take it back mate, just get a genuine one and you'll be sorted. you do need a AUM maf, AGU ones wont fit mate.

euro car parts do bosch maf's on exchange basis for 90 quid btw

Weird, just offered the old one up and that has the same gap to the airbox. I only have an eBay VCDS thing which doesn't reset the codes and will have to wait for my other mate with full VCDS to reset it (will that work?) but I think there are other problems still wrong with it. Lambda sensor and misfires (thought this was from the MAF) codes are still present but that's because I haven't reset it yet.

Still coughs at idle if you jab the throttle but drives fine through the gears. The new MAF idles better but not perfect but not as pronounced as the old MAF.

With the MAF unplugged (new or old) it runs perfectly with no drop in performance/mpg so it sounds like it could be the wiring to the MAF do you think?

Starting to hate this car now.