Brake bleed fail... No brakes

James TQ

Reaction score
I fitted new disks and pads all round today had to take one of the rear calipers off to wind it in... Bother we're wound in, when I bled them each calipers was done at least 5 times with short drives in between and the master cylinder done twice by the ed of it all the fluid exiting was clear, there was 2 of us bleeding one pumping the pedal one operating the bleed nipple, we friend engine on engine off start from the furtherst away from the MS Ect... The pedal feels ok when the car it off but when the engine is running it bottoms out and the brakes are awful. I can't drive the car because the stopping distance from 15 mph is about 30 foot lol... Anyone point my in the right direction please?!

bleed the MC again, but do it this way, slacken the bleeders, press pedal to the floor and hold there while you tighten the bleeders, do this 5/6 times and you will have a good pedal feel

make double sure the reservoir is always fill of fluid :beerchug:

Also whe I start the car three beeps and the Sybol for brake error

Honestly try getting a brake bleeding kit; makes the job at hand so easy and its a 1 man job and more importantly stress free.

Wen you say do this with the mc do you losen both nipples or one one

Flipped seals I bet. Master cylinder dead. New one required.

NEVER bleed these cars using the two man method pressing the pedal. Ruins them

Flipped seals I bet. Master cylinder dead. New one required.

NEVER bleed these cars using the two man method pressing the pedal. Ruins them

Now i dont often (ever tbh) disagree with you mr prawn, but ive always bleed them the 2 man method and never had a problem tbf, T5s on the other hand will eat an MC on just a pad change

I got a gunson eazi bleed for mine, there really easy to use one man operation, cheap as well,I've heard of a few people damaging master cylinder seals on newer type cars using the pump the pedal method

Now i dont often (ever tbh) disagree with you mr prawn, but ive always bleed them the 2 man method and never had a problem tbf, T5s on the other hand will eat an MC on just a pad change
my old man told me to do the same. despite me saying the warnings that are brought up in here.
He just stressed to me to keep the reservoir FULL

As have I and a ex-VW Racing mechanic I know, for years. Only seems to be a problem for people on here ;) You should always keep the reservoir full. Pressure/Vacuum bleeding will be easier though.

I don't want to replace the mc willy nilly could be a waste of money, there is no fluid leak around it and how can you tell if its that that's gone?

I don't want to replace the mc willy nilly could be a waste of money, there is no fluid leak around it and how can you tell if its that that's gone?
It just will not bleed up, there will be no leaks...

As have I and a ex-VW Racing mechanic I know, for years. Only seems to be a problem for people on here
wink.gif
You should always keep the reservoir full. Pressure/Vacuum bleeding will be easier though.

Its just the age of these now Sam, that little ring you get where the seal has happily sat for 10 years+ will have certainly formed, and i believe it is this that flips them..

when doing it with engine off i had my foot hard down the there was a squeek and the pedal went down further MC gone? also can i use a MC of another 1.8t or is it like an ABS pump it has to be exactly the same?

Reactions: dusty
Its just the age of these now Sam, that little ring you get where the seal has happily sat for 10 years+ will have certainly formed, and i believe it is this that flips them..

Formed with what though? It's a sealed system full of fluid? I can understand if you let the reservoir run empty and then pump air, there's a chance of causing issues.

will any mk4 platform MC fit or do i have to get a direct one?

Ok so I got the easy bleed done them all again and the mc, brakes are better but when the car is running the pedals travel is further then normal brakes are gods but should be much better any advice? Going to take it some where Tuesday any ideas though please?

Also when I turn the car off and pump the pedal it goes hard straight away!