Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Cam pulley problems

Hi,
    was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the cast woodruff key snapping on there cam pulley? have just put an ARZ head onto my AJQ engine and the timing marks were out (bottom end lined up but cams were out,they would have snapped on pistons when we tightened up head), so we duly took off the old pulley to find the key had snapped, hence why the valves had struck the pistons. the new (second hand head) was the same, was broken also but had not slipped round far enough to damage valves as they were all fine with no marks to indicate otherwise. I have a new pulley coming monday so should be up and running then (piston damage was minimal so will be fine).
    The old head, when we stripped the cams off, had had a sludge problem(oil pressure, pickup pipe blocked) and the exhaust cam had run dry and had worn into the head so pressume this caused the key to break but if anyone else has suffered the same then let me know and what caused it?
    will post pics of old and new when daylight arrives
    thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    This normally happens when some one turns the engine over using the cam pulley bolt... bolt should be torqued to 65nm when refitted

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers tuffty, well the new one was my fault then as used the bolt to turn to timing mark when head was off, 30 quid lesson there. will just use the pulley from now on!
    engine only has to last till i can rebuild old ajq with forged pistons so i can uprate bhp,
    will post pics of old cam and damage it did to head.
    thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    Also happens when people use an impact gun to tighten the pulley.
    2008 8P S3- Black edition. 'all the options....'

Reverse Gear

Status
    would like to think people that did that got what they deserved! haynes manual and my next door neighbours tools and wisdom saved me on this one, pulley i can replace with no real issues and it was a good learning curve for me as it was my first dohc head to change.
    for the handsome price of £860 i now have an 1999 1.8t quattro 180 bhp on the road (tuesday if bits arrive) taxed for a month and mot'd for 6!
    looking on here and on you tube its gonna turn into at least a 350bhp monster by the end of the year!
    plus a big thanks to barry who gave me a shelf bracket to cut up and use to block the egr on the azr head, try saying that quick after a few drinks!