Help ! Or it's going on eBay

basil brush

Reaction score
Hi , need to call on the fountain of knowledge ,
I have a 1.8t agu with intermittent starting issues !
it turns over and fuels (I can smell it ) but won't even attempt to fire !
only code is cam sensor 00515 so I have changed that along with the crank sensor also the ignition amplifier but no joy !
Any probable causes I haven't thought of ?

regards marc

The plot thickens !
Mr AA man turned up turned it over and stated it is just flooded !
Popped the injector plugs off and started the ****** thing ?
Now how plausible does this sound ?
Perhaps the ignition amplifier or cam sensor was stopping it from starting and therefore flooded and was still flooded once I'd changed the sensor and module which meant it wouldn't start leading me to believe something else was wron when all along it was just flooded which cleared by popping the injector plugs off ?
possible or even likely ?
Marc

ignition amp or crank sensor would be my guess. When my crank sensor went it was very odd, sometimes it'd run, and others it wouldn't play ball, then sometimes it'd run for 100 miles, but to go restart and it wasn't interested. No codes on that occasion either

a crank sensor wont always throw a code, and the reason for that is when the engine isnt running it would flag an engine speed sensor fault, my money is on the ign amp tbh, you will prob find no spark

alright peeps , a quick update .
im going along with my explination of ignition module packed up which flooded the engine (very badly , will explain in a minute) then once module was replaced wouldnt start as the engine was still flooded .
no once mr AA man had gone i decided to go and buy a set of plugs and fit them but only 10 yards from my house my OIL light came on !!!!!!!!! quickly back to base and checked the oil which was at the right level buy VERY thin and stank of petrol so i'm guessing some of the unburnt petrol found it's way into the sump ??????
SO i dropped the sump , changed the pick up pipe and oil filter and topped up with new slippery stuff .
she now starts better than ever and the POWER !!!! it's amazing , feels like its been remapped compared to how it was since i got it . (only had it 2 months you see ) perfect idle and very smooth :)
i'm now a fairly happy chap BUT the niggle is the ignition amp i fitted was a second hand scrap yard job , used to just see if it was the problem .
is there a preferred type / make of amp i can buy new to make sure i dont suffer this again (well for a few years anyway) also which plugs to buy as mine are fouled and also pitted .

thanks for all the input everyone .

regards marc

this bloo*y saga continues !!!!!!
just got set to go out with er indoors and guess what ? flamin thing wont start (same symptoms)

googled this problem and i have seen a mention of corroded ecm relay terminals a couple of times , now one of them said it was under the plastic scuttle that funnily enough leaks on mine ( get a wet footwell ) but this was mentioned on a b5 not an 8L A3 .

so does anyone know where my ecm power relay is ?
and could this be my problem given i'm getting fuel ?

regards marc

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh !
just been surfing related problems and saw intake temp sensor suggested to removed and cleaned that , and no difference .
just thought i'd try mr AA mans trick of pulling injector plugs and guess what ? i starts and runs until the fuel burns off , plug injectors back in and no start , just floods again !
sadly shops are shut now so i cant buy a set of plugs but will first thing in the morning but if that doesnt solve problems could the injectors somehow be flowing too much fuel ? and if so what could cause this ?

regards marc