Audi Concert Stereo Upgrade

LibreYLoco

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2002 Audi A3 (8L), non bose with a sub woofer in the boot (which makes it half amplified from what i gather). I am hoping to replace the Audi Concert stereo with a bluetooth one (probably this one if i do the self install.. http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_91 8067_langId_-1_categoryId_212600) but I was quoted a price of €100 for installation and additional parts on top of the head unit price. because money is a bit tight i was considering doing it myself and have a few questions...

Is this too complicated a job for a novice like myself?
which iso adaptor do i need (pc9-401 or pc9-404 or other)? will the rear sub and speakers work with these adaptors? are the cheap ebay versions of these adaptors any good?
has anybody completed this installation successfully? if so could you provide some guidance?...step by step or just general.

Thanks...
M.

Anybody have any idead at all? These are the pics from the stereo i want to install and the current audi concert stereo.

DEH4500BTIMG 0597IMG 0591IMG 0587

I am not sure which adaptor you need but providing you can get correct one, it is a simple DIY job.

Simply remove your stereo
Fit adaptor pieces to opening (such as these. FP-05-02 Stereo Fascia Adaptor Facia Plate to Audi A3: http://bit.ly/1108wz3)
Install adaptor
Install new stereo cage and stereo.

Away you go.

Not a bad job. Just ensure you do find the correct wiring adapter. And consider the fascia plates as the standard stereo is wider than an aftermarket one.

Thanks for the reply! I have just heard that there are a few complications with losing connection to the rear speakers and subwoofer, difficulties with the aerial, and and something about a live ignition. Also, is there and difference between the harnesses being sold on eBay and the ones in halfords (except the price!)?

I am not sure which adaptor you need but providing you can get correct one, it is a simple DIY job.

Simply remove your stereo
Fit adaptor pieces to opening (such as these. FP-05-02 Stereo Fascia Adaptor Facia Plate to Audi A3: http://bit.ly/1108wz3)
Install adaptor
Install new stereo cage and stereo.

Away you go.

Not a bad job. Just ensure you do find the correct wiring adapter. And consider the fascia plates as the standard stereo is wider than an aftermarket one.

I don't know the specifics of the wiring on that stereo or adaptor. But if you get a good adapter it should resolve all of those issues.

The correct adapter is pc9-404, you also need and ISO antenna amp adapter to power the amp in the aerial
Both adapters then need to be connected to the power antenna or remote on lead on the new HU
You will also need to fade to rear quite a lot to balance the front and rear speakers as you'll have twice the power going to the fronts from the new HU

Depending on the year of your car you may or may not have a switched live on the Audi ISO power loom. If not then you'll have to wire one in from fuse "Radio S-Kont" at the fusebox, or use the perm live on the loom and turn the HU on/off manually

Thankyou for the replies AndyMac and g60Leigh.

@AM:
My car is a 2002 A3. Do you know if it has a switched live or how i can find out?
Can i use any ISO antenna adaptor?
Also, i read elsewhere about a high to low converter to overcome the difference between front and rear. would you recommend this?
Are the ebay leads the same as those from halfords etc.?

Thanks again for the help,
very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Andy, i purchased a different stereo in the end Alpine CDE 133 BT (http://hotline.ua/img/tx/470/4707185.jpg). will that affect any of the advice you gave me? also, are the active adaptor leads any good? this one was recommended (T1 Audio T1-CT51-AU01 - Audi VW Porsche Active System adaptor for with Full or Partial BOSE system: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike) and will this lead remove the need for wiring a switched live (Audi Volkswagen Harness adaptor online at Nexxia UK)?

Thanks again,
M.

Last edited:
I also am having problems with mine i got a 2000 plate 8l and i have bought the same pioneer HU and i have tried 3 of the cables and yet none of them fit .......
i have been told i have a fully amplified system and it is bose even though bose is not written above the speakers ..... i have tried the pc9410 and pc9401
Pc9401 (think it was a 401) gave me rear speakers and sub
Pc9410 gave me front speakers and sub
Does anyone have the same issue and do they know what cable i need?
Thanks

Throwing up some pictures with your post might help people to give you a dig-out.

No the active adapter uses the crappy hi to low converter mentioned before
No that ISO harness will not give you a switched live as you have no switched live on the loom at the HU.

Both that Pioneer HU and the Alpine cde-133bt only has one set of pre-outs that's why you can only get the fronts or the rears to work at any one time - nothing to do with the adapters you've tried. You either need to use Y splitters on them to feed the same left & right signals to both the front and the rear (losing the ability to fade) or you are stuck using the awful PC9-408 active adapter which will use your speaker outputs rather than the clean pre-outs and convert them back down to pre-out level and introduce hiss and probably interference into the bargain.

ahh brilliant thanks for the help ill ty and find some splitters .... and if i still cant sus it out ill put some pics up on here for some help thanks again

I have just ordered 2 rca splitters and here are some pics of behind my stereo

Using a pc9410 atmo but i do need to wire my HU to the battery at some point drives me nuts it not saving memory.....

The attachment cable pc9410....
Uploadfromtaptalk1366490709700

Stock cables....
Uploadfromtaptalk1366490660996

Rca output on my HU.......
Uploadfromtaptalk1366490676634

Wired up i think the splitters will work as i have a rear speaker working and one front will be fiddly tho....
Uploadfromtaptalk1366490784351

The original link posted above said that Pioneer only had one pair of pre-outs, typical Halfords can't even get the basic spec of their HU's right!
You clearly have 2 front and rear/subwoofer
Are you sure you don't have the rears set to subwoofer?
That would explain why only one set work as it will only be sending low frequencies if set to sub.

seems to be working with the splitters now but how do i wire the HU to the battery perminantly ? i have herd something about putting the red and yello wire together? does this soubd write ? any ideas

Yes connect the red and yellow together so they both run off the permanent live on the Audi loom

Thank andy ,
I did do this but my central locking stops working when my HU is wired to the battery ? Is there any way to get round this ??