Common S3 problems please

paulwakinshaw

Reaction score
as in the title, here are the ones I know of

MAF
DV issues
Coilpacks

what else should I be checking for when looking at a S3 and what items are covered under the warrenty?

TIA

Bushes.
Rear definitely, not too sure about the front.
It's covered by the warranty too.

bushes and ARB, general creaking noises sometimes fixed by bushes, sometimes need ARB and bushes and more...

Door Latches not showing the door being closed and causing problems with interior lights / alarm etc.

If you have a car still under warranty I would expect any of the common or not common faults to be fixed without question.

buy one in warrany.

forgot mines had new maf this year ( i bought one as output was getting lower, so replaced it, Audi wouldnt do it under warranty as it wasnt throwing errors)

Coils should be ok, They are not expensive these days and a known (past) problem) so usually replaced free if failed , sometimes even out of warranty.

DV is cheap enough to replace, even if it was ok, for the cost, id replace it anyway if you intend to keep the plastic bosch one. Circa £15.

some people have complained of the rear washer squirter failing, ive never had this. Pipe comes off or shaft its pumped up through snaps.

sometimes coolant sensor plays up there is a revised one (my 2003 didnt have it ) it has now and is on latest green sensor. circa £25 diy fit.

this sensor if the old black one known to play up and throw errors. can affect performance and fueling as part of the decision process for the ecu. green version is the revised sensor.

watch out for aftermarket lowered suspension, Often puts out the geometry and causes wear on inside edges of the tyres. Usual trick to stiop this is fit adjustable tie bars to correct the problem, which adds extra money often not allowed for ontop of suspension changes.

Factory fitted Quattro GmbH doesnt need this. Perfect even tyre wear.

[ QUOTE ]
Xenon motor, does it just pack up and is it covered under Audi warrenty?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes should be covered known problem with motors.

I not had any, but its might be because miine have been newer.

2002, and 2003 225 S3's

[ QUOTE ]
buy one in warrany.

forgot mines had new maf this year ( i bought one as output was getting lower, so replaced it, Audi wouldnt do it under warranty as it wasnt throwing errors)

Coils should be ok, They are not expensive these days and a known (past) problem) so usually replaced free if failed , sometimes even out of warranty.

DV is cheap enough to replace, even if it was ok, for the cost, id replace it anyway if you intend to keep the plastic bosch one. Circa £15.

some people have complained of the rear washer squirter failing, ive never had this. Pipe comes off or shaft its pumped up through snaps.

sometimes coolant sensor plays up there is a revised one (my 2003 didnt have it ) it has now and is on latest green sensor. circa £25 diy fit.

this sensor if the old black one known to play up and throw errors. can affect performance and fueling as part of the decision process for the ecu. green version is the revised sensor.

watch out for aftermarket lowered suspension, Often puts out the geometry and causes wear on inside edges of the tyres. Usual trick to stiop this is fit adjustable tie bars to correct the problem, which adds extra money often not allowed for ontop of suspension changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are convincing me to buy yours Paul!

Cheers for the info!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Paul,

Regarding the above coolant sensor, is this on the engine or are you refering to the level sensor in coolant expansion tank? and what are the normal symptoms as I don't remember hearing about this one?

I'd forgotten about the rear washer, mine started following the wiper (which is the problem) and it just needed cleaning an greasing - shame I'd already bought a new one.

Cheers,

Ben.

[ QUOTE ]
buy one in warrany.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any lowering springs with affect the camber adjustment!

What is so special about Quattro GmbH springs that maintains the rear camber as per manufacturers spec? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ive not needed adjustable tie bars like most aftermarket suspension "upgrades"

i dont particularly like the idea of tiebars cut in half, welded up and a stud with nuts fitted in the middle.

What ever the factory Quattro GmbH suspension upgrade consists of,( stiffened and lowered 20mm)
it doesnt give uneven tyre wear or need tie bars.

[ QUOTE ]

i dont particularly like the idea of tiebars cut in half, welded up and a stud with nuts fitted in the middle.

What ever the factory Quattro GmbH suspension upgrade consists of,( stiffened and lowered 20mm)
it doesnt give uneven tyre wear or need tie bars

[/ QUOTE ]

that should have read

it doesnt give uneven tyre wear or need adjustable tie bars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

worth doing,

if you can open the bonnet, you can easily swap that sensor following the procedure.

just make sure coolant is cold and not under pressure.

in that case you should be able to see if its green or not.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that should have read

it doesnt give uneven tyre wear or need adjustable tie bars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
To that I'd say bullsh!t.

If your car has been lowered you will have excess camber at the rear. Look at the rear of your car... you'll see the wheels angled in!

How long have you had you car lowered?

I can gaurantee the inside is wearing down more than the outside!

Paul,

I take it you have the GmbH suspension upgrade?

I'm trying to research via ETKA whether the GmbH option uses different length tiebars.

The best way to do this is if you could look up the suspension code in the options list on your vehicle data sticker (front of service book or in spare wheel well). Mine is listed as 1JF suspension (3rd row, 2nd column of optional equipment codes). If you could check and confirm if this is the same or different, we could clear up whether the GmbH option does in fact correct the camber.

The code should either be 1JU, 1JV, 1JF or 1JW.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that should have read

[/ QUOTE ]
To that I'd say bullsh!t.

If your car has been lowered you will have excess camber at the rear. Look at the rear of your car... you'll see the wheels angled in!

How long have you had you car lowered?

I can gaurantee the inside is wearing down more than the outside!

[/ QUOTE ]

ill correct you there.

It LEFT THE FACTORY with the Quattro GMBH lowered/uprated suspension AS AN OPTIONAL EXTRA.

it was an option still available from Germany that the UK decided not to offer anymore.

ive driven 35K miles and had two complete sets of tyres in that time and i dont get uneven wear.

i cycled the first set, regularly,and had no uneven wear.

This set have been cycled , but less frequently and still no uneven wear.

This is a proper factory set up not the cobbled up kits thats retailed in this country that more often than not and needs adjustable tie bars at extra cost after to correct camber and tyre wear issuses.

yes Si.

Factory Quattro GmbH suspension.

I i have the same as you. 1JF

looking back to my German order/reciept the suspension option was known as

"PQZ Sportfahrwerk plus"

translarted as

"sport chassis plus"

Cheers Paul,

There must be some other difference in the setup. Just not sure what it is.

I also have J1L. Does this mean i have sports suspension fitted also or just standard?

For info my wheel arches do not run even with the standard 17" wheels it looks as if the car has been dropped.

Mine is standard S3 stuff (as far as I am aware)

I don't really understand how the code affects it then. In ETKA, it shows the code when specifying springs, shockers etc.

I'm confused.