I've found my SKC with Vagtacho.

danfloun

Reaction score
Just an update;
I purchased a cheapo vagtacho off ebay for £20.
I told it my ECU and it successfully connected to the ECU.
However, it failed to read the pin (SKC). GUTTED!

Instead, I selected the try any ecu button.
Vagtacho connected to a few other ECU types but failed to read the pin still.
Third attempt, Vagtacho give me the 4 digit pin number, but was it correct?

Whoppeee!
After entering it in the wrong area of Ross-Tech a few times, I finally read the manual and realised I needed to enter it into instrument module. The SKC was accepted (with an additional 0 added of course (0xxxx)).
My car now drives after two weeks off road.

So if you aren't getting anywhere with Vagtacho, play around and be patient.

If anyones interested I used clusterrepairs.co.uk for my dash repair.
They seem very professional and helpful. The dash hasn't been installed for more than a few days, but it seems to be okay.
The lcd are a little distorted for some reason, but it was like that previous and it's not much. I was also told about this before they returned the unit and I said, whatever.

Which Vagtacho did you buy, can you link to it? Need to recode some instruments myself, but couldnt get my version to work.

So why did you need vagtacho? Is it due to you sending the clocks away for repair?

Which Vagtacho did you buy, can you link to it? Need to recode some instruments myself, but couldnt get my version to work.

Just a cheapo eBay (£20) job, version 3.01 of vagtacho I believe.
I only got it for code retrieval. Have a look, there are plenty.

So why did you need vagtacho? Is it due to you sending the clocks away for repair?

When my dash went faulty it was intermittently turning on and off, in fact as I understand it this particular fault causes the processor in the dash to keep resetting. Eventually I think it corrupt the contents of the EEPROM, the outcome was an unstartable car.

Cluster repairs reflashed the eeprom along with fixing the intermittent power issues.

When i got the dash back, the keys needed to be re-registered with the car. Note: not caused by clusterrepairs, it lost its programming before i sent it off for repair.

I needed the SKC code to do the key registration through Ross-tech.
Hence, elcheapo vagtacho to recover the code from the ecu.

Argh thanks for that mate. Learn something new everyday.