decat and MOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

James TQ

Reaction score
i have a decat and my mot is due in a month or so and i know that there will be an issue, i dont have the old cat as it was shagged and the flexie pipe was in half, im from essex and just asking if anyone can PM a garage that they have been to that have 'adjusted' the emissions reading i am willing to pay extra blah blah blah, thanks guys!

Good luck posting that on a public forum lol. I think you got more chance borrowing a standard cat.....

lol true.

Yeah the easiest would be what andrew has suggested. either that or put a standard one back on every year. Could try beat your record ever year lol

silly expecting to recomend a mot place on the net

if one popped up in my pm if a garage owner wants to help a poor soul out like myself you never know!

To sum up... de-cats are technically illegal... for a car to be 'road legal' it must be capable of passing emissions tests relative to year of manufacture... this is applicable at all times and just not MOT time...

Seems to be a grey area insurance wise too... companies seem happy if you declare a de-cat but it could be dodgy ground if inspection after an accident finds your car not to be 'road worthy' as it has a de-cat and therefore could fail emissions tests...

As stated in previous posts this is not really a discussion to be had on a public forum... we all know it happens, the authorities knows it happens and I have no doubt there are one or two accommodating places that will use a degree of discretion when testing emissions at MOT time...

The risk of running a de-cat is down to the individual but not only does it present problems at MOT time there are also roadside checks that could catch you out... MOT's can be sorted using a 200cell cat or swapping in a section that has a cat in it if you really feel the need to run a de-cat come MOT time...

I think this thread has run its course...

<tuffty/>

Status
Not open for further replies.