Whine from engine bay

Goubo1

Reaction score
Was driving back from a mates and was letting the car idle for a minuet outside the house before I turned it off,I could hear a slight whining noise that I can't remember hearing before.its audible in the car but tried to record it and my phone wouldn't pick it up so I lifted the bonnet and recorded it there it's not great but best I could get.

S3 engine whine noise - YouTube

Any ideas would be great as I'm a bit worried in case it mite cause damage if I drive it

Thrust bearings? I'm totally guessing tbh. Dip the clutch to see if the noise dissapears? Or get your head In the bay and listen to pinpoint where it's coming from.

Thrust bearings? I'm totally guessing tbh. Dip the clutch to see if the noise dissapears? Or get your head In the bay and listen to pinpoint where it's coming from.

im hoping to get it in the garage tomorrow to get the downpipe rubbing on the propshaft sorted once and for all,as long as its not the turbo making the noise that's my biggest worry to be honest

it doesn't sound like the turbo. You'd only hear that coming on boost if it was. Sounds more tensioner related now that I've heard it in my headphones. When's the last time you had your Cambelt changed?

it doesn't sound like the turbo. You'd only hear that coming on boost if it was. Sounds more tensioner related now that I've heard it in my headphones. When's the last time you had your Cambelt changed?

it was done in November last year