Missing pipe

Skinwiz

Reaction score
ImageHi all , I'm wondering if you may be able to help me with a query . I recently got my s3 back on the road and had a few days trouble free motoring then all of a sudden I've started hitting problems , I'm presuming it is the dump valve which is a turbo dynamics one with AMD on it , im guessing its the right type of dump valve as it came on the car so I have stripped and greased it but for the life of me I can find the pipe that goes in the top , I believe it may be the vacuum pipe ? The original vac pipe seems to be plumbed into a samco hose at the rear right of the engine bay . Is this top hose the vac hose that activates the valve or is it the pressure from underneath that pushes the valve open , the hose before for the valve has popped off once or twice . Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Last edited:
can you post up a bigger engine bay pic dude

It looks like you have a coldside kit but there is no vac feed to the DV and no dv return to the tip

can you post up a bigger engine bay pic dude

It looks like you have a coldside kit but there is no vac feed to the DV and no dv return to the tip

im not %100 sure which is which TBH I'm not super au fait with my car as its been sat for 9mths since I got it . Is the tip the nipple type thing on top ?

The tip goes from the airfilter box to the inlet of the turbo, the small pipe on top of the DV goes to the inlet mani, and the larger pipe on the DV which isn't connected goes to the tip :)

That kind of makes sense to me , I think , do you know what is needed to rectify this ? There is an outlet on the air box roughly the same diameter as the unconnected pipe on the DV , would this be where I need to connect to ? also where on the inlet manifold does the smaller pipe go to ?

Sorry for all the questions but I really do need it to run right lol

Having a quick look around the net it makes a little more sense , the tip is the turbo inlet pipe so I'm looking for a spare inlet not connected to anything I'm guessing . As for the vac pipe on inlet manifold , am I right in saying its at the far left end ? Cheers :keule:

in the pic you can see the blue pipe with a jubilee clip hanging, it looks like it is connected to a t piece.
that pipe should be connected to the top of the dv. thats your vacuum.
take a better pic of the dv and tip, so we can see the pipe work better

Will do , I'm restricted to iPad at min but ill try get some better pics , thanks .

Image Image Image ImageImage Image Are these any better ? I've noticed a pipe coming out of the TIP connected to an elbow then more pipe going back I to the TIP on the other side

Sounds like someone has blocked the holes in your tip.
one should be for dv.
So unblock one and run a pipe from your dv to the tip.
How it should is 3 pipes from your dv.
first should a small one to the inlet manifold.
Second one to your tip.
third to your intercooler pipe (you have cold side relocation kit )

Yes your diverter valve (DV) should have three connections

Your DV has been relocated to the cold side - this means that it has been plumbed in after the intercoolers - this bit looks fine from what I can see

You have two other connections on your DV that are not connected to anything.

The larger of these two connections should be connected to your Turbo In Pipe (TIP) - that was probably left unconnected because someone wanted the dump noise sound they heard in the fast and furious film they watched ..... but then why bother with the cold side relocation??

The third connection that you are also missing is the nipple on top of the DV - this needs to be connected to a vac/boost source from your inlet manifold. It looks like you still have all the standard N249 pipe work sitting on top of your engine and that someone has put a T-piece in there (probably a pressure source for a boost gauge?). The small diameter blue pipe (~4mm ID)that comes off this T-piece and is plugged with that bolt needs to be extended and connected to the nipple on top of your DV

EDIT: I know I have just said the first connection is correct but is that DV upside down anyone? You have boost going to the underside of the diaphragm and no pressure source on the top because nothing is connected to the nipple meaning that the DV is going to be open when ever your on boost? Should the pipe that is currently connected to the DV actually be connected to the connection on the side of the valve and the bottom connection go to the TIP?

Last edited:
Cheers guys , I've completed step one and connected to the vac source , I'm about to hook up the TIP To the DV , any suggestions as to which pipe to use as this will leave an open inlet source on the TIP .

Yes your diverter valve (DV) should have three connections

Your DV has been relocated to the cold side - this means that it has been plumbed in after the intercoolers - this bit looks fine from what I can see

You have two other connections on your DV that are not connected to anything.

The larger of these two connections should be connected to your Turbo In Pipe (TIP) - that was probably left unconnected because someone wanted the dump noise sound they heard in the fast and furious film they watched ..... but then why bother with the cold side relocation??

The third connection that you are also missing is the nipple on top of the DV - this needs to be connected to a vac/boost source from your inlet manifold. It looks like you still have all the standard N249 pipe work sitting on top of your engine and that someone has put a T-piece in there (probably a pressure source for a boost gauge?). The small diameter blue pipe (~4mm ID)that comes off this T-piece and is plugged with that bolt needs to be extended and connected to the nipple on top of your DV

EDIT: I know I have just said the first connection is correct but is that DV upside down anyone? You have boost going to the underside of the diaphragm and no pressure source on the top because nothing is connected to the nipple meaning that the DV is going to be open when ever your on boost? Should the pipe that is currently connected to the DV actually be connected to the connection on the side of the valve and the bottom connection go to the TIP?

I can confirm that with the dv set up as is with vac pipe connected its pushing air out of the one remaining open connection constantly , hit the go pedal and you get the whoop tish.

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone for helping me today :o.k: it seems to be running ok at the minute , I'm just hoping it wasn't bodged to hide a deeper problem .