Losing the will to live can someone help

Snash7

Reaction score
Evening all

I have had a problem with my a3 1.8t agu in the last couple of days it started with struggling to start and having a ticking noise coming feom inside and under the bonnet. i had a coolant tenp sensor fault which i changed today with no luck.

When i got the car started it sometimes cut out and on trying to restart it, it would struggle and backfire and not start. I have managed to pin point the ticking noise inside the cabin to be the fuel pump relay to be ticking but cant solve why it is and if thats the reason my car wont start and stay on.

Thanks in advance grant

I would say scan for faults and you might need a new relay.

My ecu harness plug got water in it and the fuel pump relay would switch on and off causing the same sort of issues you explained.
I think the water was shorting out pins as I also had a crash sensor fault. I was just waiting for an airbag to explode in my face!

Cheers for the quick reply i scanned it today after i changed the ect sensor and nothing cane up.

I had a search online and some other a4's had a similar problem and blamed it on a corroding ecu. So i will have to have a look at mine just curious to know if it is water damaged can it cause all these problems i know it is the brain of the car but really

Thanks grant

Sure your fuel pump isn't on it's way out?

just think of it this way...

When you have too many beers, sometimes your brain can't get your mouth to string an english sentence together or put one leg in front of the other to walk straight :haha:

My fuel pump primes i can hear it when key is in ignition so i dont (yet) suspect that to be faulty but at the moment i cant rule anything out.

Ive some how need to swap my fuel pump relay to see if its that or not before going to buy a new one. Ive never heard the car backfire that loud ever serious bang and pops