Audi A3 - Wont Start - Possible Fuel Problem

JayDNZ

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 1999 Audi A3, 1.8T 5V petrol engine and I topped up the oil on the weekend and it now won't start.
I'm not super technical but I'll explain as best I can.

I was cornering a bend on Thursday and the oil light came on, I got home and the dip stick was reading nothing, pretty bad I know, I knew it was due a service but didn't realise it was quit that bad. I decided not to use the car until I got some oil in her, it was Easter Friday and so she sat on my lawn for a couple of days until I got some oil on Saturday. I toyed with the idea of changing the filter myself instead of taking it in for a service and I jacked up the car, but I didn't like being under it jacked up so decided to just put some oil in and take it in for a service. I put in about 3 Litres of oil and the dip stick is measuring about halfway.

I then went to start it and it won't start, my immediate thought was battery, maybe I left a light on for a few days but the engine is turning over, I've tried jump leads and taken the battery to auto-shop to test and they said it's OK. Someone at the store suggested checking the fuel line, he suggested that the car could "think" it's been in an accident if there was any sudden movements with jacking up or down.
So I took off what I think is the fuel line and turned the engine over and no fuel is coming through. No fuel does make sense because a couple of times when cranking it sounded like it almost started but couldn't quite fire (possibly the last drops of fuel flowing through).

So I think I've diagnosed the reason for not starting (fuel not coming through), but i've got no idea why it's not coming through or how to fix it. Below is a photo of the line I disconnected to see if any fuel was coming though (which it wasn't). I'm not 100% sure if this is the fuel line or not.

Last week I ordered a Vag-Com cable to link up to my laptop, this was because the airbag light has been on for about a week or so (this could be related I guess). the Vag-Com cable hasn't arrived yet, should be in the next day or two.
The fuel tank is over 3/4 full by the way.

Any suggestions very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason

96975782.jpg

92265283.jpg

i dont want to be rude, but if you think that is the fuel line please step away from the car. you have neglected to observe your fluids for some time, i check mine every week end or if i forget at least when i fill up at the petrol station, i work at halfrds and the amount of people that come in and have no oil in there car is unbelievable i mean do they really not care? it take all of 5 minutes to check your oil water and tyre pressures......

any way rant over

the fuel hoes is under that cover. its connected to a metal tube situated above the intake manifold. you cant just pull it off, and if you do decide to take it off have glasses or atleast something to cover your face when you pull the hose off,

maybe you had such little oil the car wont run.i have no idea what you have done but just take it to someone who knows what there doing before you cause your self more cost.

No worries – I’ve obviously been very neglectful. I found it so odd that it wouldn’t start after putting oil in, was just hoping to drive to a mechanic instead of towing.

well. theres not alot that will stop a car working.
spark and fuel

now among others comon things are

engine coolent temp sensor
fuel pump/fuel pump relay or even fuses do belive fues 29
crank sensor

you need vagcom to know for sure. but theres a chance it wont tell you

Reactions: seafar99
The vagcom arrived this morning, haven’t had a chance to look at it yet. I only really ordered it to diagnose the reason for the airbag light being on, which I understand can be a range of issues from fairly minor to quite major. I’ll still plug it in and have a look but I have feeling I’ll be towing her to a professional.