any ideas about car cutting out at idle??

mitch18

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For a while now my car has been idling at around 1200rpm when started for about 30secs then drops to normal but now when started up it splutters then just cuts out! It seems almost fine after a while running although the revs do bounce down then up about 200rpm at idle ! Does anyone have any ideas about this?? Its an a3 1.8t aum. Thanks

try your pre cat lambada.
mine was loose and caused bouncy idle and rough start up, would keep cutting out when i changed down.
tightened up and is now fine.

I had a similar problem it didn't cut though almost did. A throttle body alignment cured mine.

My AGU is doin a similar thing after reving or slowing out of gear to stop etc the revs hunt around close to stalling, i found the vac hose going from the inlet mani to the brake servo had cracked at the middle non return valve when i was replacing the water temp sensor i head air hissing from it as i moved the hose, incidentally i wasnt hunting for idle until i fixed the pipe, so i re-broke it last night to see if it sorted it but its still hunting, will defo check the lamda for tightness but how do ya align the throttle body?

Thanks for that :) Disconnected the MAF and no change, ill try the pre cat lambda, could really do with getting it plugged into VCDS although I dont no anyone that has the software :/

Could also be the water pump seizing up putting a heavy load on the engine at idle, had this on my A4 Quattro, managed to catch it in time before it shredded the cambelt.

I did that a few weeks ago and bought a new MAF.
Solved it then but the same problem has returned. Any ideas?