Problem with brakes?

• Thread starter imported_spuddie007
  • Start date
I

imported_spuddie007

Hi All

Had my brakes changed at the stealers back in May, and was fine until last when I felt the handbrake was a bit loose. Thinking nothing of it, parked the car on a hill and walked away the next day.

Came out of my mates house, to find my car had moved, obviously rolled down the hill and hit his girlfriends car. Not much damage, my number plate and hers were cracked.

Took the car to the Stealers (Whetstone Audi) today, they put in on the rolling road and said one of the callipers is sticking, but they need to take the car in and take a look with all the wheels off.

My question is, would a stuck calliper be covered by whatever warranty there is on their work, as I said the work was only carried out in May!

Just want to know where I stand as I gotta take the car in tomorrow!

Cheers
Spuddie

sounds more like the hand brake cable has snap'd if you ask me, happened to me on my gsi cavshedicnakker

does sound very wierd to me, if it's not covered just try complaining, doesn't really sound like it's something you can not have done!

I know I have to pull the handbrake ****** hard on my car to get it to stop on our 45 degree drive, but think that's kind of an exception to the rule.

Whenever i park on an incline, i also leave the car in gear...just to be safe!

I always park in gear, regardless of wether I'm parked on level or on a incline, just got use to it I suppose.
Did you by anychance park up after a spirited drive?, it's been known to S3/TT owners that the rear brakes get used quite a lot, due to the brake force distribution setup of the system, and so expands due to the heat build up. So after parking up, the shrink back to normal size, and even with the handbrake on, there's been a few stories of S3's rolling away when parked on a slope! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i too always park in gear regardless of slope. Had to chase my friends citreon bx down the hard shoulder of the A77 once after the brakes cooled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I always park in gear, regardless of wether I'm parked on level or on a incline, just got use to it I suppose.
Did you by anychance park up after a spirited drive?, it's been known to S3/TT owners that the rear brakes get used quite a lot, due to the brake force distribution setup of the system, and so expands due to the heat build up. So after parking up, the shrink back to normal size, and even with the handbrake on, there's been a few stories of S3's rolling away when parked on a slope! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly that happened to mine. My neighbour watched the car roll down the hill outside my house and park it's self in a hedge of trees on the opposite side of the road.

I'd parked the car with the wheels slightly turned so the car crossed the road and went into the trees on the other side. If the wheels were straight then my car would have picked up a quite a bit of speed and would of been sitting in someones lounge.

I always leave in gear now.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

Took the car to the Stealers (Whetstone Audi) today, they put in on the rolling road

[/ QUOTE ]

An Audi dealer with a rolling road? Now that's good.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Took the car to the Stealers (Whetstone Audi) today, they put in on the rolling road

[/ QUOTE ]

An Audi dealer with a rolling road? Now that's good.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]
MOT stations have rolling roads to perform the brake test part of the MOT. It only does brake tests - i.e. not a dyno!

Hi All

Good advice, I'll make sure I kick up a stick with them as I think it's their neglect in the first instance.

Have chsoen to use gears and handbrake when parking at the moment, as I couldn't get the car in yesterday.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Spuddie

Hi.
I had the same thing happen to me, the s3 was parked on the drive and I was in the garage, heard a clunk turned round and saw the car rolling back towards me, it ended up half in the garage wedged up against the side of the door, first thing the dealer asked "was the car parked in gear" which it wasn’t but is every time now, even on the flat. Anyway got the repairs done through the insurance (no claims protected) and the hand brake checked out, but no faults found, can only think that the brakes were hot and had cooled loosening the hand brake.