S3 Oil Leak On Startup From Oil Cooler

Tooks

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Typically, and when all the car parts shops are shut today, my S3 has developed a startup oil leak that appears to be coming from the oil cooler where it meets the engine mount.

I understand this is a common problem, and the o ring part is cheap. The problem is, where to find one today or tomorrow?!

I have a couple of new oil filters, I have read that an oil filter seal ring is the exact same thing, and will do the job just as well as the OEM part? Certainly a few pics of the aftermarket parts look just like the oil filter ring...

Any thoughts/experience?

Ta!

The seal I think you mean is different to the oil filter one... the proper one is as you say and o-ring with two locating tabs... looks like this

EPA001-1B.jpg

Not sure where you would find one though... halfrauds won't have anything like that so your only bet is a decent motor factors which is open on a bank holiday... again unlikely...

<tuffty/>

Yep, that's the one.

I read that the tabs are unimportant, although I wonder why they're there! Probably to aid with installation or something.

Im thinking that if the oil filter o ring is the same size, then it should work the same?

Arguably... all things considered its worth a punt....

The tabs are to locate the o-ring so when you fit it it is in the right place to seal properly... without them it stands a chance of moving and not sealing correctly resulting in a leak... The tabs are important for this reason (to make it essentially idiot proof) but if you are aware and are careful then it could work...

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffty, I think I'm going to give it a go.

The existing one has clearly failed, so even if I get it fixed whilst I await the original part, it's better than it leaking. I'm concerned it will let go completely.

Worse case, I can always stop and try and get a part mid week if this doesn't look like it will work, but would rather not have to take a day off sorting it.

I will let you know how I get on!