THATS IT, IM AT THE END OF THE LINE NOW!!!!!!!!

I

imported_vishal

Hi Guys,

Right ive been trying to sell my car for almost 2 months now, and nothing serious has happened, apart from the worlds biggest timewasters coming around!!

Just a recap on the car

2001 "Y" reg, 2001
Silver with black leather
Bose, Ali mirrors
Centre Armrest, Bluetooth phone kit
45,000 on the clock

Totally unmarked, and in original condition, just had its major AVS II service at HR Owen as well!!!

Now, i have advertised her at 12,995 with no offers, the cheapest by far on auto trader, and also on ebay, and nothing at all, not even a peep from a legit buyer, i really dont know what to do now, dealers have offered 11,500, but they can sing for that, and i know other cars are selling for more than what i have advertised.

Previously you guys have blamed recent petrol prices, and holidays etc,,,,,,,,,,,, but why are other cars selling then??

This is now starting to drive me mad, and may just end up giving the car away for 10k!!!!! So please, once again your help and advice would be apprecialted

Sorry you're having probs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Can I just ask if that dealer offer was a cash price or p/x?

I can't believe your having problems selling your car.
It seems to have had a lot of owners for the year. Your the 4th owner in 4 years may put people off.
Does it have the symphony stereo as it is a good selling point?

Why are you going to give it away for £10k when a dealer has offered £11.5k ?

OK. I have just looked your listing in Ebay and a few things stick out as a no no. This may hurt a bit but you asked for our advice.

You say this is your 3rd S3 and you like it so much but if you liked it so much wouldn't you have kept the first one?

You say the reason is for investment in a new business but you can't check your e-mail's.

The pictures are that great especially with a "well looked after" car bumped up the kerb. How about taking it to the local park and take some nice pictures.

It has 3 previous owners in 4 years that's a lot more than average. Is it a lemon springs to mind.

Delete the bit that say it is realisted due to a timewaster as well.

These are the things that spring into my mind. How about ending the auction and adopting the above and relist the car.

Good luck with sale and don't take it to the dealer as he will make a load of money on it for sure.

Selling a Car like this privately is hard because people dont have £13.000 cash lying around to buy a car out right, But they can go to a dealer and get the same car on finance and in 2 years time part ex the car in and get the newer version or differnt with out paying out £13:000

i hop thet you can see where i'm coming from, i know that this does not help you but at least this may be a reason why

[ QUOTE ]
Selling a Car like this privately is

[/ QUOTE ]

for some reason, i read the rest of this line as:

Selling a Car like this privately is very much like making love to a beatiful woman, you've got to make sure she's clean, and washed in all those hard to get to places, then, and only then, is she ready for viewing....

[ QUOTE ]

Now, i have advertised her at 12,995 with no offers,

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest putting "no offers" on any private sale instantly comes across as arrogant. Put ONO on it or reasonable offers accepted. You know what you want for the car so theres no point in starting off on a bad footing by putting off buyers. Also has it occured to you that it hasn't sold simply because you're asking too much for it? market forces will always prevail... just a few things to think about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The smart thing to do is advertise it on eBay with a very low start price and no reserve and hope it gets bidded up to something you will be happy with.

If you put on the advert "I reserve the right to withdraw from sale as it is being advertised elsewhere" this gives you a get out clause if the final price is too low for you.

Just an idea.

I think 4 owners in 4 years is a lot, and will affect the price. I think £11.5 from a dealer is not so bad if you want a quick sale.

£11,500 - that is how much I would probably want to buy the car private off Autotrader. If a dealer is willing to offer that that is good!

I have been watching autotrader for a couple weeks now and I would not pay anymore than that - as I am looking for an S3 at the moment.

Hi Guys,

Right heres the deal, you all are saying that the car is now overpriced!!!!! NO WAY!!!!! Parkers have it valued at £12750, in excellent condition, which it is, and it has a few extras, so asking for £12995 is not far off what its worth at all, its a total minter, and has no damage history at all, it is also mechanically sound, fair enough, the adds previously may need amending, but look at autotrader for instance, can you find a 2001 "y" with facelift and the extras i have for less than 13k??? Didnt think so, and before you send me the link for the black car on a "51" plate at £12995, ive checked it out, not only is he a fraudster, but the car on HPI is also listed as being stolen recovered, so there you have it, any other comments are most welcome!!!

PS. Having another do at Movida, end of next month, for those of you that missed the Roof Gardens, please form an orderly que!!!

Just did an online valuation for your car at what car:-

Dealer £12606
Private £11323
Part Ex £10144

I just bought an S3 225 2003 / 53 64k FASH, 1 owner Just over £14k from a dealer, with a warranty and its mint. makes yours sound expensive I think

Its only worth what someone will pay, if you can't sell it its too expensive.

[ QUOTE ]
Its only worth what someone will pay, if you can't sell it its too expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Parkers is just a guide. It's only worth what someone will pay for it and after this amount of time you have to ask yourself is the price too high? I think it's worth £12,995 to YOU, not to the buyers out there.

That said, you might just have been unlucky, but if you want £12,995 you're going to have to be patient.

[ QUOTE ]
£11,500 - that is how much I would probably want to buy the car private off Autotrader. If a dealer is willing to offer that that is good!

I have been watching autotrader for a couple weeks now and I would not pay anymore than that - as I am looking for an S3 at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

just a quick question, what sort of age and spec are you expecting for £11,500?

I think some of you should probably have a butchers at autotrader before you make your comments, cmon mate 11.5k for a car like this with the mileage and spec???? BE SERIOUS!!!! There are year 2000 cars going for a lot more than what im asking for mine, have a look, lowest mileage, and lowest priced "2001" car on autotrader, "what car" is not what people who know what they are looking for ususally use, that said, i guess ill sit tight and wait, its a fair price, as you guys have mentioned before

From Glass's guide

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £12150
Average condition: £10850
Below average condition: £9510

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought an S3 225 2003 / 53 64k FASH, 1 owner Just over £14k from a dealer, with a warranty and its mint. makes yours sound expensive I think

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair that is a very high mileage for the age, and so reflected in the price.

Yeah but prices on Autotrader need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
You can advertise your car at any price, doesn't mean it'll sell. Also you need to allow for at least 10% knock down in this market the way it is.

at the other end of the scale, i spent 18k this summer for my 52 plate s3 from an audi franchise and thought nothing of it. The car had 27k miles, and was the same price as all the others on the approved audi website. For the same price i could have driven away with an 04 plate 3.0 A4 Quattro, an 04 plate 2.0 TDI DSG.. the list goes on.

But i didn't.

Don't lose heart dude. You will sell it. Its just most people dont go out and think about buying a S3.. When i decided on an S3, it was 7 years ago when i was 21. Its only just now i have been able to afford (a good) one.

The Audi S and RS series cars are for enthusiasts who appreciate awesome power in an understated, subtle and sublime package (and are prepared to pay extra for it) - and as such, these unique cars are sought after by unique people - not the chav ricer types.

These people are rare... but luckily we have the fortune of being brought together on this forum.

in short:

How many ess'es do you pass in the morning....

exactly.

Hold tight..... I sold mine last month after 6 weeks. Having held out I got nearly full asking price (£17,950). I think I was a bit lucky but there are still buyers out there for good cars. Having said this there is a lot on the market right now.

It still hurts when I think I spent 22k on it 16months earlier though.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just a quick question, what sort of age and spec are you expecting for £11,500?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoping to get something under 60k face lifted, chrome mirrors, ming blue, black leather/silver alcantara. Pay extra for the right car with SatNav + Arm Rest etc etc.

Mate,

If you can get a Face-lift S3 with well below 60k on the clock for £11,500 i would be very suprised!!!! Good luck with it though, and if you do end up with one for that kind of money, please do let us know!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys,

Right heres the deal, you all are saying that the car is now overpriced!!!!! NO WAY!!!!! Parkers have it valued at £12750, in excellent condition, which it is, and it has a few extras, so asking for £12995 is not far off what its worth at all, its a total minter, and has no damage history at all, it is also mechanically sound, fair enough, the adds previously may need amending, but look at autotrader for instance, can you find a 2001 "y" with facelift and the extras i have for less than 13k??? Didnt think so, and before you send me the link for the black car on a "51" plate at £12995, ive checked it out, not only is he a fraudster, but the car on HPI is also listed as being stolen recovered, so there you have it, any other comments are most welcome!!!

PS. Having another do at Movida, end of next month, for those of you that missed the Roof Gardens, please form an orderly que!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now now... no need to get shirty... we are just trying to help and pass our thoughts!

I think where you are in the market is an odd spot. People looking at cars at your age/mileage are hoping to spend as close to 10k as possible (like me) the next real break is those looking at cars around 15k - which are newer/lower miles. Your car is just at the wrong stage/time to sell I think personally.

Why not p/x @ 11,5k and get a deal on the next car you want?

"Pay extra for the right car with SatNav + Arm Rest etc etc. "
Umm yes that arm rest is sooo important!

But seriously Zero makes a good point.
There seems to be a big jump from 00/01 models with average mileage and 02+ models with low mileage (generally £11k jumps to £14k). Your car is stuck in the middle because of the below average mileage. Personally I'd always go for a younger car with more miles, i.e. I'd rather a 51 plate with 65k on the clock and the cambelt already done for the same money, but then I've never understood some peoples fear of high mileage on modern cars, (recently bought a A4 Avant TDi 51 plate with 112k miles on the clock and it drives like new).
Older low mileage cars just strike me as lots of short journeys which is usually bad news for the mechanics.

also, peoples perception of pre- sept 01 number plates is 'old', whereas people consider any modern plate car as new.

Some peoples criterial for buying a car are that it must have a new style registration (especially if their female.....)

I read somewhere that the difference between an 'old' and modern registration plate on an average car in the same year (i.e. late x reg and early 51 reg) can be as much as 3 grand at the moment!

There are bargans to be had on pre modern plates.

Just out of interest, the dealer offered me 12K today trade in for my X facelift 2000 S3 with 47K, Bose, rear accoustic sensors, RSTT's :)o), heated seats etc

So I wouldn't say your car is over priced!

Hang in there.... Wrong time to sell imo!

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of interest, the dealer offered me 12K today trade in for my X facelift 2000 S3 with 47K, Bose, rear accoustic sensors, RSTT's :)o), heated seats etc

So I wouldn't say your car is over priced!

Hang in there.... Wrong time to sell imo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you thinking of selling Rich?

I'm contemplating a new A4 but nothing concrete at the moment...