1999 A3 1.8t Quattro purchased today

squizzle

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks in advance for any help you give me!
Just bought a 1999 1.8t quattro for the great sum of £550, great but it does not run, the lady owner said the oil light came on and she pulled over and stopped the car, checked the oil and went to restart it and it would not start. Having done a bit of research I know its gonna need an oil pump at the least, I'm a reasonable mechanic and do all my own work (slowly but right). collect it on thurs and from the look of it and the inch thick service history booklet she gave me it has been looked after well and wanted for nothing. it does turn over so the engine is not siezed but was wondering why it does not start? first thought was the computer stopped it from starting if the oil pressure got to low as a safety cut out? just a guess but has anyone else had a similar problem or a good place to start looking? I have budgeted for buying another engine but would rather keep that money and get it chipped!
by the way its 180bhp and the ajq engine.
thanks

Hey man,

I've owned a couple of these...

you need to start with fault codes...

cheers, have mate with computer so will get him to check it out once i pick it up and find out what the codes mean.