Approx cost of front end respray...

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I would like to get the front end of my car resprayed to fix stone chips/scratches etc.

I would need the following painting:-

Bonnet
Front Wings
Front Bumper

Anyone gone down this route before? What sort of costs can I expect from a decent painter...

Oh its Ming Blue.

Cheers
Rich.

Thats pretty good. I was thinking it would cost approx £300 for the lot.. Perhaps i'm not too far out..

Cheers
Rich.

Forgive me for being stoopid, but when you have a respray, do they remove the existing paint, fill the chips and spray?

£85??! Sh*t that seems cheap! Think I'll get mine done if thats the case! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I had my bonnet done a few years back (after ****** pressure washer removed half the lacquer on it) and it was £170 at Audi recommended bodyshop. They did a really good job.
No they just fill the chips and rub down the existing paintwork.

hi there hope this helps i have a few pals in the trade and your looking at £200/250 for a homer and & 500/600 at a bodyshop i would ask around,look at some previous jobs the company has done and so on and go from there hope this helps

orvil

Managed to get my ming sorted for £250 at Headley Bodyshop near Newbury. Colour match was impressive, just make sure that when they re-fit it that all the lines are correct and well fitted.

I normally pay about £100 for the first panel then £50 a panel after that depending on what needs doing, ie how many chips / dints there are

Rich, just got my front bumper done by a guy I use in Pontydullais. £85 to do the bumper including the grey insert and giving the grilles a satin black.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Rich, just got my front bumper done by a guy I use in Pontydullais. £85 to do the bumper including the grey insert and giving the grilles a satin black.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who did it for you Chris?

Did they do a good job? I'll have a look on Sat..

Cheers everyone
Rich.

Guy is called Ian Davies. Garage is ID Auto Refinishing.
Trouble with repainting is I don't think
anyone can get it truly perfect. Depends on how picky you are I suppose. I've seen some crappy finishes from the factory.

Chris.

"Trouble with repainting is I don't think anyone can get it truly perfect."
I have to disagree, of course they can get it perfect, usually better than a good factory finish, just all down to the prep and how skilled they are.
A good bodyshop will bake it as well so you're not driving round with soft, easy chip paint on your bonnet for 2 weeks.
The job they did on my bonnet was perfect, they didn't need to overspray the wings either and the colour match is spot on. I guess with a lacquered finish you get less colour ageing.

As for a "homer" I can't think of anything worse, how the hell are you gonna get anywhere near a quality finish doing it outside or in someones garage? You need a completely dustfree paint room for starters.

For starters, there is no such thing as a dust free paint booth. Check how often they change the filters.
"Of course they can get it perfect". We all have our own standards.

No matter if the filters are changed every month, which they rarely are, you will always have specks of dust in there somewhere. As for colour match, you are at the beck and call of the paint manufacturer. Some give a few variants, some a couple.
Of course, with the dust you can always flat and polish it out.

Whats a homer ? Hope its not what I think it is. Thats not v.good at all.

Chris.

So your super high standards cannot be met by anyone, anywhere in the world?
Wow those are pretty high unattainable bullsh!t standards, and your research I presume includes all the reputable bodyshops on the globe? And none of them were any good?

Who cares how often they change the filters as long as your car is the first in after they've done it.
I was only saying a filtered paint booth (even with old filters) has got to be miles better than a driveway, or do these aging filters let in flies & midges?

Andymac, if you wre talking about outdoors, then I absolutely agree. You simply can't do that kind of thing.

Best mate is a painter, done all my cars in the past, and even he says that you cannot completely control the dust and the odd silicone dots.

As for my "High Standards" , I'm not the one claiming to have the perfect paint job.

Chris.

"As for my "High Standards" , I'm not the one claiming to have the perfect paint job"
No, no matter how I read it, that sentence makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'll say it slower then. You were saying about my bullsh!t unattainable high standards. I've said nothing about me having unusually high standards. In fact quite the contrary. Realistic expectations I would say.

I made a comment about not thinking that anyone could get a truly perfect paint job. There is always the chance of dust specs unless you want to flat and polish it.
As for your car being the first in on new filters. Highly unlikely.
So, what part of the sentence did you not get ? Makes perfect sense to me. You said I had high standards, and you claim to have the pefect paint on your bonnet. I am not claiming to have the pefect paint on my front bumper.

Chris.

FWIW I've had "invisible" scrape repairs done in the past by a friend or a friend who does it for a living, sprayed in a booth made out of old shower curtains in a barn. You couldn't tell there had ever been a scrape there, and he only did the scrape - not the whole panel.

He did do lots of very thin coats drying each one with a hot air gun, so there wasn't really a chance for anything to contaminate the drying paint. No idea what paint he used either, but he did do a lacquer coat.

"Realistic expectations I would say"
or just experience of a shoddy bodyshop

If you watch a real pro at work, the time & effort that goes into a top class paint job to get the super glass finish, the prep beforehand and the prep between coats, I don't think you'd be saying that the perfect respray is unattainable

Find a sprayer that been spraying for years with a decent spray bough with dust extractors and oven that does proper prep work and you can’t go far wrong.

wip32_carresprayinprogress.jpg

wip31_carresprayinprogress.jpg

wip34_carinovenbaking.jpg

You will never get a dust free environment, but that can always be flatted and buffed out.

Absolutely, you won't go far wrong. Most bits of crap in the paint can be flatted out.
A good painter will always be able to tell if something has been flatted and polished.
Andy, "Shoddy bodyshops". Sorry, I've had no experience of this.

Chris.

Nothing to do with pricing but i thought i would let you all know whats been happening with me motor recently

due to a huge boulder that fell off a lorry and splintered my front end, i have just had the insurance pay out and the 3rd party admit liability after 4 months of battle, i also had a witness who was affected by the boulder.

Anyway, the car is like new again, i had the roof sprayed, bonnet, both front wings, front bumper, 1 new headlight, 1 new spotlight and a new windscreen, courtesy car for 2 weeks aswell. Took 2 weeks for them to Pass the final inspection, i'm one fussy person when it comes to paint. I'm really pleased and to be honest the boulder did me a right favour. The car cleans up now better than it did when i bought it. It's still going to get chips but who cares, armour fend is too expensive for what you get.

[ QUOTE ]
£85??! Sh*t that seems cheap! Think I'll get mine done if thats the case! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh its a good quote. they did both sides of the car when i bought it because it was keyed on the forecourt. a very good job i must say.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

guy was in my garage yesterday for two new front tyres on his 54 plate A6 - it had been key'd along the side and Audi wanted £1500 to do it!