Economy on a S3

nlldavies

Reaction score
Hi everyone, currently an A4 Avant TDi owner and looking for a change.

Steered clear of A3's and the like but after seeing a 2003 S3 in my local car dealer I've fallen in love and decided to see if it is viable for me to own one regarding the cost of insurance and economy. The insurance has passed my test:

I know owning a performance car usually means that you have to disregard fuel economy but the problem is I do about 40k miles a year travelling to and from work so the fuel economy on the Avant was just write. Can anyone quote me any figures on MPG sor the S3 and do you find it a gas guzzler during normal use?

Thanks
N

Hi mate,

Mine averages about 23 to 26 miles to the gallon, but it is chipped and i do tend to make the most out of the cars power. Pre remap i got about 27 to 30 to the gallon.
On longer runs i can currently get about 31 to the gallon,

On a long run, about 32mpg.
Daily commute, about 28.
That's chipped and only optimax.

I am 80:20 long jurneys and average 36mpg.

I really need to use more boost lol thats on Tescos 99ron

i hav had an s3 now for about a month and find that average is about 25mpg,but on long runs can do over 30mpg which thought was good,cant have power and fule consumption

Mines chipped. I get up to about 36mpg on a long journey, and about 30 in mixed driving.
Thats on either Optimax or Ultimate.

I own a remapped S3 and a Passat Estate TDI, as a comparison, I would say the S3 uses twice the fuel of the Passat. So doing 40k miles a year, think you need to think long and hard! Saying that though, the S3 is twice as quick, and more fun to drive, so worth every penny imo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I would say I get about 28MPG average, that's about 350 ish miles from a tank which I imagine will be the biggest pain going from your TDi. I only ever use optimax or 99Tesco etc.

If it's all motor way miles I would say over 30MPG is easy at 80MPH ish, probably 35MPG if you actually stuck to speed limits.

30 seems to be the rough average. I'm getting a reported 42mpg on the TDi, I know it can do better but finding it needs hammering to stay with other vehicles. So, it should even out with the S3 a little bit with less right foot on cruise trips.

Looks like I'll arrange a test drive tomorrow. I'll have a quick browse through the other posts but any advice on what to look out for on a test drive?

Many thanks for the replies.

N

Almost all motorway with some country lane blasts for good measure. Long term average (before remap) running on optimax was 33.7. Now it's chipped it seems to be in the mid 34s.

What does the owners manual say it should do under combined driving?

If you know what you get in comparision with that figure on your current car you should be able to compare with what you are changing to?

[ QUOTE ]
Almost all motorway with some country lane blasts for good measure. Long term average (before remap) running on optimax was 33.7. Now it's chipped it seems to be in the mid 34s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these figures from your DIS/OBC or brim to brim figures? I find it impossible to get 30mpg+ out of my S3 with brim to brim figures, was wondering how much my 19" wheels was contributing to my low mpg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

closer to 20mpg for me. 99% city driving.

when I actually figured it out properly, brim to drim before my engine went I was getting 27MPG and I know it's gone up a bit since the new engine. I have also never got over 30MPG for a tank, but if you did just sit on a motorway you'd easily better 30MPG unless your sitting at 90-100 all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these figures from your DIS/OBC or brim to brim figures? I find it impossible to get 30mpg+ out of my S3 with brim to brim figures, was wondering how much my 19" wheels was contributing to my low mpg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

These are DIS values. Mostly long motorway jouneys at 80. Don't usually go down to empty but probably getting 350 miles out of a tank.

With DIS figures, I find that you need to take 2 off to get the actual mpg.

[ QUOTE ]
With DIS figures, I find that you need to take 2 off to get the actual mpg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when the car's rempped though, mine shows 27.9, actual is 24/25 whichi is close enough I suppose. On my TDI, DIS shows 49, actual is 40/41.

I do about 29 - 30 mpg on normal driving with only the occassional chance to floor it! This goes up to about 34 - 35 on a long motorway journey.

I did just over 35 mpg on Friday on a trip from Kent to Plymouth averaging about 80.

My DIS reads approx 1.5 mpg high, so I calculate my mpg from brim to brim!

I make a 40 mile trip to work and back through the week, it's mainly motorway and country lanes, I don't potter around either.
The DIS was reset ages ago and still shows 27.4 MPG.

HTH

i get 330 to £55 of optimax at 97.9 p a litre dont know what that works out to but my dis shows 29.4. If your worried about the costs stick with a diesel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Depends how you drive it! Hard driving will give no more than 20 MPG, mixed will be late 20s and moderate can see over 30.

Did 300 motorway miles yesterday, crusing between 70-90, occasional boost in 6th. Averaged 35MPG.

why not think about remapping a diesel, good performance with good fuel economy! dont forget if your puting on that mileage, the diesel will always hold residuals better!

My best ever was on the way back from AMD sitting at 85 on a 4hr journey back....38mpg!!!

Average though for me every time is to get about 340-350 out of a full tank.

A full tank last me about 240 miles which is mainly city driving.

Long journeys, I can get about 280-300 miles to a tank.

[ QUOTE ]
A full tank last me about 240 miles which is mainly city driving.

Long journeys, I can get about 280-300 miles to a tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

About the same as me then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif