Metal or plastic water pump

typertony

Reaction score
I've searched and read a lot of posts on this but wanted to get people's views on this.

Im going to do a cam belt and water pump this weekend and was set on using a metal water pump.

When I went to GSF to buy the bits, the guy told me that the metal pumps fails due to leaking bearing and that I should use plastic.

Does this sound right?

i know a lot of people have used metal ones but has anyone had an issue with them leaking??

i did pick up a metal one from euro car parts just incase and will return whichever I don't use.

Thanks

The reason why OEM water pumps use plastic propellers is for the simple reason that if it ever failed and sheared them off, the broken plastic wouldn't cause catastrophic engine failure as metal parts would do.

I've not had a leaking water pump on my engine as yet but have just replaced mine anyway as part of a major service.

Hope this helps?

Plastic...

Early OE pumps were prone to failure but most would last over 60k miles before doing so... there was a stage where peeps would suggest using metal impeller pumps as these won't break up however EVERY metal impeller pump I have seen has leaked through the shaft (metal impeller, more heat retention, seals fail)... new OE pumps seem to be fine and tbh they should always be changed at the same time as the cambelt

<tuffty/>

Genuine Audi ones aren't much money - £40 ish for my 1.9 TDI 8l A3 from the dealer, they have a plastic impeller. I learnt the hard way with my last car to always do the water pump when you're doing the cambelt - bearing went on the water pump and scuppered the engine.

Well to put the cat among the birds ive got a metal one for Ron, ive had to replace bucket loads of plastic impellered ones because the impeller has come loose but ive never had any problems with metal ones

Sorry :(

I think I will go with the plastic one then.

If they are good for 60k then thats good enough for me. If we still have the car in 60 thousand miles then I will change it again with the cam belt.

Ive never had problems with other cars with pattern pumps leaking but then they normally have light weight sheet steel impellers and not a large heavy cast one which I guess is why the bearings fail.

I think I will go with the plastic one then.

If they are good for 60k then thats good enough for me. If we still have the car in 60 thousand miles then I will change it again with the cam belt.

Ive never had problems with other cars with pattern pumps leaking but then they normally have light weight sheet steel impellers and not a large heavy cast one which I guess is why the bearings fail.
I would look for a KWP metal impeller pump if i were you or stick to genuine water pumps. I have fitted genuine pumps to v6 tdi and they did not last long past the warranty period- last one here on HerefordQuattro's v6 tdi- prior to him owning it- fitted in 2009 and barely making it after 3 years and 15-20k, the impeller started spinning on the shaft ! With KWP water pumps i had zero failures and some i had running over 80k and 6 years...just my 2 pence worth !

i only fit genuine or airtek plastic impellor pumps and have no problems with them
the only metal impellor pump i fitted lasted 2 mths the impellor turned on the shaft