Reverse Lights...

• Thread starter imported_stuartkern
  • Start date
I

imported_stuartkern

Hi there all,

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this problem or not? My reverse lights started 'flickering' when reversing, and over time got slowly worse. Of course I ignored it hoping it'll fix itself...I was wrong. Now I have no reverse lights working, and it's not the bulbs that are screwed! Obviously a loose connection somewhere, but where??!! Unless this is a fairly common problem, it could cost me a bit to get sorted, what with the labour rates and all, and especially if they don't know where to look?!

Can anyone shed some light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

have not encountered it, but the first place i'd look is the reverse light switch on the gearbox, look for loose connection. if connection is tight, try shorting switch out with a fused link, i say fused as it protects the circuit if you touch the wrong bits, ie earth. try a small fuse, as you wont need more than 5 amps max, and that will do two 21watt lamps.

if lights work then switch may well be faulty

It's probably the cable breaking near the plug that connectes to the reverse light switch on the gearbox. They broke on mine- the're a bit tight.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, nip down to the dealer and buy the following:

1x 000 979 131 (wires)
1x 1J0 973 702 (plug)
2x 357 972 740E (grommet)

or if you are changing brake pads, cut off the sensor wire.

Get some heatshrink, solder, and a soldering iron, and splice the new plug into the loom near the gearbox, leaving it a bit longer than the original.

The above list from the dealer will cost about a fiver.

Cheers for that! That's made me feel a lot better about the situation! Product codes and all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Although where about's is this wire located? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

re my thread about reverse lights previously - one of the wires had snapped off, but after much messing about it turned out we needed a new switch too - about £8 from audi.

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers for that! That's made me feel a lot better about the situation! Product codes and all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Although where about's is this wire located? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On top of the gearbox, near where the gearchange linkage attaches. Could probably post a photo if you need it.

Right...got the parts from audi, but where am I supposed to be fitting them?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Any chance you could take a couple pics to point me in the right direction?!

Cheers

Nice one cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

OK, here's the pic.

rev-switch.jpg

The circled connector is the one you want. You will probably find that one of the wires has broken off. The plug has a latch you have to release to disconnect it on the underside. This is fiddly.
Access is a bit tricky, so you'll need to take out the battery and tray (make sure you have the radio code). You can see the battery at the edge of the picture.The cable is in the wiring loom at the bottom of the picture.
Take the wire you bought, and cut it in half. Fit the wiring pins to the new plug body- look at the old one to work out which way they fit. They push into the plug from the cable side and latch in, IIRC, and then the rubber grommets slide down the cable to keep the water out- use cooking oil or similar to lubricate them. Make SURE you get the pins in the right way, as they probably won't come back out.

Splice the new wires to the old cabling- I soldered, heatshrinked and spiral wrapped mine- you can see the spiral wrap in the picture- and then reconnect the plug.