FML - KO4 Turbo

ShaunS3

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
Regional Rep
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ok, let's cut to the chase....upon removal of my downpipe (part of a mechanical overhaul/modding process), i found this....

IMG_20130327_200219_zps75b505cb.jpg

IMG_20130327_200238_zps8e35d3cd.jpg

IMG_20130327_200410_zpsd3d47a50.jpg

Just what I didn't want to see, but i'm glad i found out now rather than it failing altogether and causing catastrophic engine/turbo failure.

A quick search revealed just a couple of threads that possibly suggest this isn't uncommon, especially for high mileage cars like mine having covered just short of 130K.

Any thoughts on possible causes for the cracks? I currently believe this is a combination of age, mileage and enthusiastic driving styles through the various owners. Is this a classic case of the engine/turbo not being warmed up and cooled down properly before or after being subject to hard driving?

On the plus side, my 3'' Relentless DP and 3'' Relentless de-cat pipe are now up for sale in classifieds - Monies will be going to a good cause....to replace my broken turbo :(

Classifieds: Relentless 3'' Downpipe & Relentless 3'' De-cat 1.8T

Cheers, Shaun.

Last edited:
Mine was like that along with a few other cracks. My turbo was on around 115k but had been wrecked by a cheap remap. Performance was reduced due to the cracks.

Fair play. Do you mind me asking what map it was or by whom it was from?

I'm going over to AET Turbo's tomorrow for them to have a look, but most likely i will go for an exchange unit due to VOR time.

Excessive egts probably due to remaps and no added fuelling. That face that's cracked pretty much takes the brunt of the exhaust gasses entering the turbo. The only stress that part sees is pressure and temp. There's a chance it's been there for the last 100k with no issues so you could argue its fine but its not worth the risk.

Excessive egts probably due to remaps and no added fuelling. That face that's cracked pretty much takes the brunt of the exhaust gasses entering the turbo. The only stress that part sees is pressure and temp. There's a chance it's been there for the last 100k with no issues so you could argue its fine but its not worth the risk.

It's already suffering major boost leaks through the PCV system but i think this has also something to do with it. It had developed a slight whining noise over the past week or two, only very faint though....nothing blatantly obvious. Would this tie in with the cracks now apparent?

Are there any tell tale signs of a cracked turbo? I.E. Unusual noises, loss in performance/boost pressure etc?

I wouldn't over think it, I would be more surprised to take a K04 off and it not be cracked.

Swap it out and crack on, if the car was driving fine what's the worry :)

I wouldn't over think it, I would be more surprised to take a K04 off and it not be cracked.

Swap it out and crack on, if the car was driving fine what's the worry :)

Thanks mate. Infact, i had better get my skates on and get over to AET turbo's....

Normal.
100's are like it.

Old cars now.. high milage.
Nothing lasts in continual heat cycles from 0-900+'c repeatdly

is it me.... or does the bolt holding the turbine look like it has a skull on it? on a serious note mine comes off this weekend for a rebuild so im expecting to find the same..

yeah it does, 1st and seconds picture

Jardo get your specs out

I said does! Get your specs out!

I get the same thing though, driving our K03 monsters stationary objects are hard to focus on, racers vision and all that jazz.

Are there any tell tale signs of a cracked turbo? I.E. Unusual noises, loss in performance/boost pressure etc?

Well funny you should mention that. I had a bizarre fluttering noise when the car was cold and the turbo spun up. Nobody could diagnose it but it went as soon as I swapped the turbo. Must have been from the cracks. As the turbo warmed up I'm assuming the cracks closed slightly and the noise went.

Oh and the map that cracked the turbo also cracked my cylinder head I between the valves was a "Chipped UK" map. They've gone bust now so we can slag them off all we want :)

Well funny you should mention that. I had a bizarre fluttering noise when the car was cold and the turbo spun up. Nobody could diagnose it but it went as soon as I swapped the turbo. Must have been from the cracks. As the turbo warmed up I'm assuming the cracks closed slightly and the noise went.

Oh and the map that cracked the turbo also cracked my cylinder head I between the valves was a "Chipped UK" map. They've gone bust now so we can slag them off all we want :)

I had the exact same symptoms when the car was cold, used to get a flutter until the car had warmed up a little. Also got some slight whining within the last few weeks.

I was just slightly worried that the damage to the turbo could have been as a result of the map, but i believe it was done by a reputable company and have the receipt in the documents to prove it was mapped.

Mind is a little more at ease now knowing that it appears a common failure for age/mileage and not something more sinister causing it to crack.

Turbo is now back from AET Motorsport - Wakefield (dropped off at 10am, had it rebuilt to stage 1 spec and finished by 4pm) - Muchos Gracias to the lads, sorting me out at the drop of a hat when i really needed them to due to strict deadlines of my dyno day on Sunday. Pics to follow in my progress pics thread once the car is complete :)