Double Din Delight

cagiti

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After 1 year of pain from issues with the Parrot mki9200 and my iPhone 4S I scrolled the endless internet for a better device. I then stumbled acroess the Pioneer SPH-DA100 (which is currently at £199), so I reserved it. I then spent about an hour searching through old threads of fitting a double din unit. A bit of background, I have a 2001 AMK S3 with Digital Climate Control.

I realise that I have to remove the cubby (piano black flap) storage and move the climate control down after shaving some plastic off! How much plastic would I need to shave off, Is it an easy job? I know '1animal1' is the guru for this kind of install and I was after a bit of information to see whether it is worth it.

Also, I need to find a double din fascia adapter plate off an A4 and retro fit it for the S3, is this an easy task?

Then I read that I'd have to buy a cage, is this necessary?

Then once you are able to get the stereo in you have to try and connect the audio up, and I have a BOSE install which means extra faffing. I do have a Connects2 module, am I able to use that or do I need a whole new wiring adapter kit?

Thank you for your help btw, always much appreciated!

Coop

Hassle. Buy a double din console. They come up. There was one on eBay the other day for £100+postage.

Then chuck your new unit right in. You'll probably need some PC9-something cables to get it to work though. I want to say PC9-404
but that's probably wrong. :p

Its easy enough I put an Alpine W235bt double din in my S3 used an A4 facia and just trimmed a little off the bottom. The pioneer app radios are good bits of kit especially at that price as long as you don't plan on changing your phone. Also you would need a PC9-410 harness adapter for your Bose system

Thanks guys, it does seem like a great deal...my only worry now is trimming the air con unit to fit! I don't want it looking like a blind man has done it! Again, thank you for your help.

Anybody cut their own aircon unit to fit a double din? If so, what tools did you use to achieve a good finish?