Red oil can warning on my 'new' S3

DaVinche14

Reaction score
Hi guys

i know there have been threads on fixes for this already but I've been told a few different things by mechanics and wonder if they're taking me for a ride...

i know my car is high miles (S3 APY 160,000) so to expect maintenance, but I was told that I'd need an engine rebuild for £3k after all I asked for was a service + oil sump clean and pick up pipe change. This decision was made after speaking to a fella 'in the know' who said this type of car with 140,000+ miles the damage is already done!

the thing is, I just got the car, drive it back home 140+ miles with no problems. The oil can light now comes on intermittently, but not on start up. Is it just a case of pick up pipe clogged and sump dirty?? Or is this just the tip of the iceberg? I know you guys can't give an exact answer/remedy, but it would be good to hear advice from anyone out there who knows what they're talking about and doesn't have anything to gain financially from me.

Thanks for any advice guys. Wish me luck!

Take it to a garage that actually has knowledge of the VAG 1.8t lump and VCDS!

Where abouts are you in the UK? I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction of a trust worthy garage depending on where you are.....what you have described could be a multitude of things tbh.

Cheers for the advice. I'm in Leeds, the garage I took it to was a well known independent in the area. Only 300 metres away as I didn't really want to drive it any further tbh. Time for plan b now lol. Really cannot believe my luck. I feel sick at the thought of the light and three beeps. Didn't even get a full 24hours of joy out of it! Live and learn... :-(

Dont Drive it, but do have a go, or instruct the garage to drop the sump and clean/replace the pickup, on that milage i would put a new oil pump in for good measure...

The oil pump had come up in conversation with another mechanic... And then he continued to say that I might as well get cam belt, tensioners and all other gubbins done at the same time. Wish I had the equipment to do it myself!

Have a look through the service history to see what has/hasn't been changed recently....as said above though don't drive it with the oil light on!

I'm from down south so unfortunately can't recommend a decent VAG garage near Leeds.

See, I'd like to think I've not been had, I've a very organised folder of all previous work done, everything to schedule. Was a lease car, previous owner drove it soft/hard to show me what it was capable of, I did the same, then drove it back to Leeds all with no problem! Hopefully I've caught the problem early enough to 'just be' the pick up pipe. Time will tell!

Mate i had the same with mine when i bought it. And i knew the family i bought it off. Youve not been had its just unfortunate.
i used an oil flush additive, droppped the oil, sump, pickup, cleaned replaced and refilled. And did another flush and dropped the oil again.
I changed the oil 3 times in one week. Following that id never heard of that light and 3 beeps for 3 years afterward.

Start with a basic thing like i did. Replce the pump whike youre at it, its inexpensive and a good idea.

If that fails it, there is a pressure valve in the oil filter housing, that wiuld be my second port of call. See how you get on. And dont get ripped off and made to do something yiu dont wabt to do or cant afford.

Good luck

Really hope that is the case Karl! The guy I bought it from did seem genuine tbh. Just one of those things I guess! Hopefully it's not too expensive a fix. Will let you know how I get on when I take it in tomorrow morning!

Right... Don't want to come across weird or over emotional or anything.... BUT just had a call from a mechanic and he said the strainer was 'blocked solid!' Now replaced + filter and new oil and engine pressure now up to scratch! I'm so happy I could sing!! (I can't sing..) just a big relief to know that it won't cost £3k as quoted buy the other place.. Can finally 'enjoy' my car now! :-D

I'd also like to thank all the guys who have replied with useful advice!

Reactions: azman
happy for you mate. so disheartening to know you bought a ticking time bomb!

now go enjoy your car! :racer:

Just had a little moment which made me grin from ear to ear... On the way to a wedding and just exited a roundabout off the M1, bear in mind this is the first time the missus has been in the car.. She says "Oh, what Audi is this then?" I replied "An S3" she looked at me in almost a confused way and said "So what's the difference between an A3 and an S3??" The best answer I could give was with my right foot if you know what I mean. No more confusion between the two now :p

Optimax? It's all V-Power now! Lol

Definitely put the better stuff in though, the S3 benefits from higher octane fuel for sure!
Haha yeah I know mate. Just like the word 'Optimax' will take me time to adjust lol