Best budget coilovers for 1.8t Quattro...

Mk1magic

Reaction score
Hi
I was just wondering what sort of coilovers you guys use as I've got my new wheels but now I need some budget coilovers to replace the lowering spring setup.
I've used the FK ones before on my old e39 528 and found them pretty good but there's a few sets on eBay for around the £230/250 and was just wondering if any of you have any suggestions?
Cheers

A few people run FK's on here and my mate runs them on his TT. Don't think anyone has really had any problems with them, my mates had them on his TT for nearly a year now I think and he's not had one problem. I'm using AP coilovers which cost about £450ish now and I can't fault them.

Lol n whys that?

Why the dislike Mr 20 post and only been on the forum for a month? I'm not sure if you are aware but it was me who wrote the how to guide and constant review for this site on the most entry level coilovers almost three years ago which has helped thousands of people make the choice of which coilovers to buy and how to fit them. I've had Weitec GT Hicon coilovers on my last A3, Jamex on my current A3, Performance2000 on my E36 and driven countless cars with various quality and expense of coilovers. And for a daily road car, when factoring price despite having more than enough money to buy whatever coilovers I want if after three years and 30,000 miles my £189 Jamex coilovers broke I would go buy a set tomorrow over all other options.

Budget coilovers are budget coilovers, it doesn't matter if you spend £150 or £300, they all come from the same place to the same standards. And with a 12 month warranty on even the cheapest of the cheap it is by far the best way to go.

The Definitive Cheap Ebay Coilover Thread (Jamex) With" how to"guide

Why don't you chip in with some knowledge then? Instead of asking a question and then "disliking" one of the most informed opinions about budget coilovers in this forum.

Buy whatever you want, I hope they fail...

Last edited:
Blimey seems like I touched a nerve there! I litrally lol'd at the answer u gave me It wasn't malicious and I wasn't trying to be funny with you it just read funny that's all....
seriously need to wind ya neck in mate, I've used a few different brands over the years and countless cars that I've had inc e21, e36,e39, mk1 golfs, lupos etc and I have found different ones have been better on different cars I.e the £800 Gaz fully adjustable height, dampening etc i had on my e21 were fantastic but I found Jamex did a kit on a friends car that was just as good!
As for 20 post count, yes I am new to the forum but I'm on plenty others that I have been on for many years so again, just wind ya neck in next time eh chum ;)

Blimey seems like I touched a nerve there! I litrally lol'd at the answer u gave me It wasn't malicious and I wasn't trying to be funny with you it just read funny that's all....
seriously need to wind ya neck in mate, I've used a few different brands over the years and countless cars that I've had inc e21, e36,e39, mk1 golfs, lupos etc and I have found different ones have been better on different cars I.e the £800 Gaz fully adjustable height, dampening etc i had on my e21 were fantastic but I found Jamex did a kit on a friends car that was just as good!
As for 20 post count, yes I am new to the forum but I'm on plenty others that I have been on for many years so again, just wind ya neck in next time eh chum ;)

The chances of that are minimal, I'll not be able to "wind my neck in" all the time there are people out there too lazy to use google. I simply gave you the best bit of advice I can about budget coilovers; take it whatever way you want but that's all I did. No need for a dislike and your comments/rattling my cage.

Last edited:
Car has springs and dampers at the mo and I'm not a fan unfortunately :S coils are a defo for me :)

Just exchanged a PM with the OP, seems a lovely bloke. Twice the man I'll ever be.

I now hope his coilovers don't fail and wish him the best of luck :)

:beerchug:

Reactions: Mk1magic
What, you mean he's bigger than you and now you're scared? ;)

Glad you've sorted the tiff.

Just grind a couple of coils off each spring :undwech:

My brother in law did that on his passat, he only chopped one coil, it dropped too low and he ripped two gashes round his front tyres on his first drive ha! He ended up wasting two nice tyres, he was gutted.

Has someone hacked Jardos account again? niceness, not sure i like it tbh :)

I wouldn't say twice the man but im very flattered with the response lol Like I say ive had some nice motors and all im really looking for is value for money, ive had some real expensive set-ups but uness either your racing or your using the car everyday, like me, your not gunna benefit from spending a "wedge" on a good set-up. Ive had good results with the fk's, and seeing as their still fairly well respected on this format (Quattro) then I think ill give them anther go :D Thanks so much for the input and I look forward to speaking again :D