Keep the 4pots or go for 6pot daddies?????????

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
After seeing sam managing to shoe horn his 6pots under 17's its made me think do i keep my lcr 4pots or upgrade to some daddy 6pots as they look awesome and fill the wheels art.

Thoughts guys?

I absolutely love mine but found pad choices limited and ****** expensive, only other downside is clearance for wheels but looking at my four pots ive just got it looks like theyre not going to have much if any more room?

Every time i look at them now i keep thinking do i really want to change them as love the way they perform and the way they look gives a slight clue to others that its not a standard car ;)

Tbh stacey i dont mind on the costs, i replaced the brakes on the car 4 years ago and still on the same brakes and i abuse the **** out of them but i look after them too.

How much is a set of decent pads? What calipers and discs you using?

Thats the thing, 4pots look nice and people look and think yeah got sumet to it, but when you see some 6pots etc you think, yes thats the dogs ******** haha.

You have to think of the money for discs and pads which is a lot more than lcr brembos

Pads yes but discs no mate as ill be buying 330mm 2 piece units so its at least £450 plus for discs, yes itll be less once i replace them as ill only need rotors but the same can be said for the 334mm as id go 2 piece as well.

Btw bolts turned up the other day mate, thanks alot.

For the cost I'd be tempted by some ksports over these

6 pots are overkill. If it's for the looks, then by all means go for it, but 4 pots are more than adequate for upto Stage2 power in my opinion.

Was looking for ds3000's for the 18z calipers and couldn't find them bellow £300 where as can get them for £140 for the 996TT 4 pots

Have just ordered some OEM r32 discs through Jason for a very good price....Cheers Jase :)

Link for the ksports? Car wont be stage 2 jojo, minium power will be hybrid onwards.

I think the ones im looking at stacey are the 17z ones.

I'd say it depends largely on your intended use of the car Dani.

I looked at upgrading my LCR brakes to 330mm and 2 piece, but retaining the LCR calipers still gives you a compromised system.

Whilst they're great brakes, the pad area isnt THAT big, and they're also very thin with just 7-8mm of material on a brand new pad.

Other similar 4 pots like the 996 ones Stacey has have MUCH bigger pads, which also start off with 12-14mm of material per pad, so for similar pad costs you're getting twice as much friction material, and a larger surface area over which for it to work, which will always help them cope with heat better.

I looked at upgrading mine, and decided it wasn't worth it as I'd still be limited by the small and thin pads, so I'm going down another route instead.

What you got at the minute nick, lcr brembos? What route you going down?

The car gets abused on the road and when the brakes are done hopefully a track day or two by the year end.

KSport

My mate has the 356mm kit with only the standard pads they come with on a 400bhp S14a and round Bedford they were pretty damn strong. Would send your head jerking forward quite nicely in full harness lol. Only began to show heat signs after a good few laps of absolutely smashing it. That was from a pretty aggressive driver though. The guy who owns the car is fairly average so lasted twice as long. I'd expect with even the ebc blues they'd be viscous! Looks sexy too lol.

Right im selling them haha.

What would be a good price? They only need new dust covers which are about £30. Ive bought new bolts, 2 sets of balance pipes and new bleed nipples with covers.

6 pots are overkill. If it's for the looks, then by all means go for it, but 4 pots are more than adequate for upto Stage2 power in my opinion.
Says the bloke who's rears are nearly bigger than the fronts :ninja:

Jo needs massive rear brakes so he can throw the car into a corner sideways. D1 style
Well its time for a change for him,quarter mile beckons @ Inters :)

Back on topic keep the 4 pots

If you go that rout, stick to 18z as they have the smaller pistons. I only ended the 6 pots because a guy was selling them cheap locally. Don't believe the hype about the pedal being terrible, mine is fine. It feels better than OEM and you can feel them working as soon as your foot hits the pedal. Touareg and Q7 calipers come in the sort of anodised black/gunmetal colour and the Cayenne ones come in red and silver.