Brake caliper question?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Not sure where to post this, but I need a quick answer, and since the part is off an S3, this is the best place to ask.

Are standard S3 front calipers the same part as my B5 Passat(TDI PD115) front brake calipers? I'm using my S3's old 312mm caliper carriers on my Passat, so I know the calipers are the same dimensions and fit, but I remember reading there are two versions of the same caliper with different piston sizes?

And before anyone tells me to go measure them, it's cold outside, and I need to take the caliper 'off' to measure on the Passat, so no point doing the same job twice, when I can get the answer on here first to make sure.

Cheers.

I seem to recall the piston size being different... Kev would be able to answer this I think as I am sure this has come up in a conversation about brakes before

<tuffty/>

Replied but reg doesnt go in.

S3 calipers are only compatible with Beetle RSI`s. If you`re calipers are ATE on the passat then they`ll fit the S3 carriers. If they`re Lucas (i think) then you`ll need to change the calipers in order to fit the carriers. Thats how it was on the A4`s anyway. Was only the 90bhp diesels that had the 280mm lucas brakes i think. Rest should have had the ATE`s.

Replied but reg doesnt go in.

S3 calipers are only compatible with Beetle RSI`s. If you`re calipers are ATE on the passat then they`ll fit the S3 carriers. If they`re Lucas (i think) then you`ll need to change the calipers in order to fit the carriers. Thats how it was on the A4`s anyway. Was only the 90bhp diesels that had the 280mm lucas brakes i think. Rest should have had the ATE`s.

I'm using the carriers off my S3, Skoda Superb V6 brake discs and the original calipers for my 312mm brake setup. After almost 200k miles, the driverside caliper is seizing, so I was wondering if my spare S3 calipers are the correct spec? I know they fit and bolt straight on!

I always remember Aragorn saying the A4 calipers had bigger pistons than the S3s so if the passat has the same calipers as the A4 1.8ts then that's your answer. I can see if the calipers are the same from your reg to complete that theory but I don't have the Info to see piston sizes and so on.