Engine Flush - Conspiracy Resolution

ShaunS3

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
Regional Rep
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Having read many engine flush threads following a quick search on the topic, it appears that there are many mixed views on this and I want this thread to provide a definitive answer for those considering engine flushes.

There are many engine flush products available off the shelf from many motor factors and some are also stocked by main dealers, such as Forté and Wynn's.

1. Forté Advanced Formula Motor Flush:

Forte Motor Flush Advanced Formula Motor Flush - YouTube

2. Wynn's Engine Flush:

Wynn's Engine Flush - YouTube

Some members have also reported that using Diesel fuel 50:50 with current engine oil would also have the same cleansing effect, if not better than an engine flush product.

My S3 has now covered over 120k and my current view on flushing the engine is leaning towards a yes, although many members on here have categorically advised against using engine flushing agents as they can cause unwanted damage due to the broken down deposits during this process clogging up oil lines etc resulting in the engine being starved of oil.

I do agree to some extent that the broken down deposits following this process may cause blockages, but surely if you are totally removing the sump, deep cleaning anything that's left in there and replacing the oil pick up/strainer, then the likelihood of this happening would be very slim to none?

Ideally, I would like technically minded/high skilled mechanics to respond to this thread but anyone's previous experiences with engine flush are also welcomed.

Shaun.

i spoke to the dealers about this and they said they used to do it on every service untill all the cars came in again a month later with the oil light on, they said if you do a flush change the oil 3-4 weeks later

Been using eiher forte or stp flush in mine for last 4 years and no problem at all.

apparently ATF has same detergents too

i wouldn't flush an old 1.8T without cleaning the sump, some of those deposits are like small black stones (depending on how old / thrashed / well maintained) for reasons mentioned above.

ideally if i was 'set' on doing a flush i'd drop the sump, clean it out and strainer flush it, drop oil repeat then drop the sump again and renew the oil pick up in cuse further deposits had been dislodged during the flush. from then on in you can make sure good oil and regular changes can be performed and maybe flush every other change but by 'normal' method of adding to oil and simply changing out with the oil change.

Been using eiher forte or stp flush in mine for last 4 years and no problem at all.

Had you seen any gain in running of the engine or performance at all? Does it seem to run more efficiently or smoother?

apparently ATF has same detergents too

i wouldn't flush an old 1.8T without cleaning the sump, some of those deposits are like small black stones (depending on how old / thrashed / well maintained) for reasons mentioned above.

ideally if i was 'set' on doing a flush i'd drop the sump, clean it out and strainer flush it, drop oil repeat then drop the sump again and renew the oil pick up in cuse further deposits had been dislodged during the flush. from then on in you can make sure good oil and regular changes can be performed and maybe flush every other change but by 'normal' method of adding to oil and simply changing out with the oil change.

I have read that flushing an engine of high mileage, i.e. over 75,000 miles is a bad idea, possibly like you say due to the deposits being like small black stones.

I would say any benefit you may feel would be false economy and more down to the fact that youve just done a service. End of the day ill keep doing it, if anything was to happen, it would have happened by now, 4 years down the line if any problem was to occur it would have, btw my cars on 120k and ive been flushing since 90k.

i did it once because i had a blocked pick up pipe and loss of oil pressure.
i actually did it twice with 2 oil changes in one day.
that was 3 years ago.
after a flush as long as you do oil changes AT LEAST every 10k the engine remains clean as whistle. no need to flush if you keep on top of servicing.
Audi dealer techs prob did it because of longlife servicing, as such was probably worth it because longlife servicing is stupid.

End of the day aslong as you change the oil every 5-10k then i cant see how any deposits will really form as the oil should still be in a complete state and not begun tp break down yet.

Ok, so what's the best product on the market then?

Forté / Wynn's / Millers Flush / Liqui Moly / Amsoil or good old fashioned Diesel?

I like forte but it can be dear and hard to find.

I flushed my old 105,000 mile Audi A4 1.8T using the Wynn's product, and less than a mile after refilling with fresh oil and filter, the pick up pipe had blocked.

So, I would say only flush if your next job is to remove the sump and clean the pickup.

My own regime for my current car is 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' and instead do an oil change every 5-6k instead. The more gradual detergent effect of regular oil changes is my preferred approach.

I flushed my old 105,000 mile Audi A4 1.8T using the Wynn's product, and less than a mile after refilling with fresh oil and filter, the pick up pipe had blocked.

So, I would say only flush if your next job is to remove the sump and clean the pickup.

My own regime for my current car is 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' and instead do an oil change every 5-6k instead. The more gradual detergent effect of regular oil changes is my preferred approach.

^good point right here ^

i only did mine because of an issue

I plan to flush the engine, remove & clean the sump pan completely, replace the oil pick up pipe and also the oil pump as part of a major service.

Ok my input, so a little back ground on ME

1993, i left school ( yes i know i dont look 36 :) ) and started in my first garage, EVERY service had a Forte engine flush, now we use to look after a lot of 205 Diesels, now on a diesel when you start it after an oil change the dip stick will always show the oil being BLACK, yet after 2/3 services and using the flush, after the oil change the dip stick showed clean oil, also it helped lower exhaust gases, IMHO Forte motor flush is a great product

Now 2013 if i bought an 1.8T i wouldnt put a flush (of any sort) near it until after the sump and pick up had been removed and cleaned/replaced, Ron has a new pick up and from now on he will have a forte flush ran thro at every oil change :)

Forte can be hard to get hold of, so IF ANYONE WANTS IT PM ME AND I WILL SEND YOU A BOTTLE :)

the local forte rep is a close friend so will sell it to me even tho im not a garage

Reactions: Jack_TQS
What for free, you sir are a legend, ill take 4 crates please :) haha.

What for free, you sir are a legend, ill take 4 crates please :) haha.

Lmfao, ok to put in context, at work my boss pays £8 a can with a RRP of £13.95 i can supply a can inc postage for £7.50 :)

Thats a good price indeed, may have to be in touch shortly :).

1993, i left school ( yes i know i dont look 36
biggrin.gif
)

Hey i left school in 1979 and i don't look 36 either !:jester:

Lmfao, ok to put in context, at work my boss pays £8 a can with a RRP of £13.95 i can supply a can inc postage for £7.50 :)

I presume there is only one Forté engine flush which is their advanced formula motor flush?

I've also pm'd you Phil :)

Shaun.

I presume there is only one Forté engine flush which is their advanced formula motor flush?

I've also pm'd you Phil :)

Shaun.

Yeah just the one Shaun

Ive replied to your PM aswell mate :)

I left school in the sixties and don't look my age. I look more like 100.:scared2:

On the oil front, apparently, all oil starts to break down at 6k and six months no matter what the price. We change road cars at 6kish and track car 2kish and mini 1to 2k. It has been proved that regular changes will clean the engine.

I left school in the sixties and don't look my age. I look more like 100.:scared2:

If the truth be know Al when i met you i thought you were in your mid 50s tbh, and put another way, my old man (67) wouldnt get in ron let alone drive the ring in under 9 mins

You are too kind. Are you looking for another free lunch.???

Surely the best method would be to do a full oil change and sump drop. Use that cheap oil ECP always have on offer. Another change of oil then drop the sump again. New quantum platinum.

On my mk2 golf with a mk3 16v 2.0 ABF lump I used ATF in the oil.
Really did the trick. But would never risk it with a turbo lump.

costco do 25l drums of cheap oil I may use as a flush. Make sure it's all good to go then from then on strictly synta.
Probs get one of those suckers to drain from the dip stick tube.

Last edited:
Having been in the motor trade as a mechanic for nearly 20yrs ...im not a fan of engine flushes
Most garages ive worked at in the past used oil flushes and will sell it to you as a good thing for your engine but at the end of the day its all about making some extra cash really.
The garage i freelance for at moment they use a oil flush and a fuel additive at every service they do ...how much extra is that a week they make on servicing!

On the 1.8t id defo drop the sump and check/clean the pickup if its never been done.... then if you want to get cleaner engine oil just change the oil more frequently ... i change the oil on the S3 every 5k :thumbsup: