Supercharging a 1.8t (eaton m62?)

Anythings do able if you have the money, would be an absolute nightmare to do and probably not enough room under the bonnet. Would be pretty awesome though, be like the Lancia Delta S4 and that thing sounds freaking incredible.

Delta S4, I warn you though, it's a bit of an eye sore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of an unhelpful reply I know, but the Lancia had a supercharger for low down revs and then a valve somehow swapped the intake for the turbo to take over at a certain rpm or boost level.

well. av got gt2871r its at 360hp but going to get gt3582r and hoping to use a eaton m62 supercharger for lower end. but dint know how to plum in and if the eaton will take 25 psi threw it from the high end turbo!!

hi i need to know if it would help low end on my 1.8t big turbo?

Not been done on a 1.8t so I doubt anyone can realistically help but I don't understand why you need this at all? my GT30 is perfectly drivable off boost if this is what you are trying to achieve... I am sure we have had this discussion before about big turbo drivability and the pros and cons etc...

Other than the physical limitations and of course choosing the correct super charger for the job then the engineering required to get it to 'work' plus working out the electronics to actually get it to work I really can't see the point...

You would be better off stroking the engine to get capacity so you have better spool and off boost performance or if you are that hung up on having both power and drivability low down then stick an R32 engine in and turbo that...

Sorry dude, trying to understand what you are trying to achieve...

<tuffty/>

It has been done before on a 1.8t.

Theres a chap supercharging his on vortex in a build thread.
It was also done on a golf a few years ago, it had a g60 and a 3071 i think. Again, its on vortex. Those yanks are crazy.
But basically youre best asking in there.

There is even a guy on vortex doing a twin turbo setup on a 20v with a sidewinder manifold. Looks EPIC !!

hi tuffty yes av had loads of idea but av herd the r32 is a pain to get good power out of let alone the big cost on forged and rods etc. I know these things cost but I thought the m62 would defo help the low end power.
one system has a valve flap I think so it changes over once the turbo comes in!
but Am prosuming al need aftermarket management. as the ME7.5 prob wont do it!

hi tuffty yes av had loads of idea but av herd the r32 is a pain to get good power out of let alone the big cost on forged and rods etc. I know these things cost but I thought the m62 would defo help the low end power.

Std management won't be able to do this and tbh I am not sure any off the shelf standalone would be able to either... quite an unusual feature and lets face not even VAG have managed this that successfully with the 1.4 TSFI

Good luck, would be an interesting engineering project but still seems a lot if effort tbh... no replacement for displacement lol

<tuffty/>

I had illusions of 'twincharging' my AE86 Trueno for quite some time and the Delta S4 setup was my inspiration

lancia20delta20twinchar.jpg

But the cost was just insane. The AE86 had a LOT of room in the engine bay and it would have still been a nightmare, I could not even fathom how hard it would be in a VAG MKIV engine bay

so turbo goes threw the supercharger. as long as the supercharger dont inhibit the turbochargers boost

You used the word cost twice in this post.

This tells us all we need to know.

You probably can't afford your idea :laugh:

so turbo goes threw the supercharger. as long as the supercharger dont inhibit the turbochargers boost

From what I remember the Delta S4 setup has a bypass (as such) at a certain rpm/pressure or something because the blower will be a restriction at some point.

look plawn
av sunk over 7k in this car all ready so I dont mind spending thw cash as long as its a propper job!
I threw a few of my r32 idea out on yhe forum and with no reply so I dint bother putting the spec on there.
end of yhe day jabbasport said the r32 are herd to get the power out of and there are problem with it.
otherwise I would go that route.
but I thought seen as I have a forged setup with large port supertech gear ready to go on I may as well go bigger turbo and
see what people think to supercharging to help low down hp.

What do you want the low down power for? Is it to race or just for daily driving and you want to have something different/special.

look plawn
av sunk over 7k in this car all ready so I dont mind spending thw cash as long as its a propper job!
I threw a few of my r32 idea out on yhe forum and with no reply so I dint bother putting the spec on there.
end of yhe day jabbasport said the r32 are herd to get the power out of and there are problem with it.
otherwise I would go that route.
but I thought seen as I have a forged setup with large port supertech gear ready to go on I may as well go bigger turbo and
see what people think to supercharging to help low down hp.

7k isngt a massive amount of money when it comes to one off mods, christ ive spent £2000 on my engine and its a run of the mill 300bhp Ko4, so tbh 7k is small fry

I think will any big turbo, weather its and 18t or r32, there will be problems. Like you say since you already have the engine fully built, you might aswell keep what you have. WHat are you trying to achieve? do you have a target or certain figures in mind that you want? with you current turbo your car is hardly slow if mapped properly.

But think of the sound...

Want.

Jardo, take note of "actual man boost".

Pfft..... you obviously dont know the true power of the mighty k03s do ya :racer:

I am after a gt3576r or gt3582r for 600hp max but a supercharger for low end torque. Its a project car, was a daily but not now. Ta, r32 do sound mint though lol

Thats why we known as S3 killers ;)

Anyway back to the topic, have a look at Andrews build thread, he's running something stpid like 600 or more. Im sure lag can be reduced depending on the A/R size of the turbo.

Just a quick input. BMW utilise a change over valve on the 3.0 6cylinder twin turbo Diesel engines. It is vac/pressure actuated, can't remember which , I will see if I can pull up any data on them.

Lancia delta s4 is my ultimate car would choose one over everything, i even had one for my scalextric as a kid!

This supercharging idea sounds a right ballache though, its much easier just dropping it down a few gears if you require real power and you have the best of both worlds instead of an absolute gas guzzler all the time.

Just my thoughts though.

Not sure if anyone else has a sweet tooth but when i was thinking about this idea eton mess came to mind and it could literally turn out that way lol.

I know they spelt different though ;)

same as the supra twin turbo setup

And RX7..and people remove the "rats nest" to make them non-sequential and to generally tidy up because as you can guess by the nick name its a mess lol.

EDIT: forget what i said.
someone clean this thread up of jardos utter ****e.

twin charging is a reasonable topic. Has been done. is being done. will get done.
cost and work aside, who gives a dam about that if theres sweet engineering to be admired??? right?

all in could dig up from vwvortex:
VWVortex.com - Twin charged
perfect thread for the OP:
VWVortex.com - looking for a bypass valve/idea (twin-charged)

VWVortex.com - Engine spy pics

soooo much info on there.

heres a very current one, although its not twin charging, guy is putting a supercharger on there only:
VWVortex.com - B5 1.8t supercharged project (slow build))

OP. if you have the patience, time, and will power to do this, DO IT. Its a great project to have in terms of being different, and the custom fabrication involved. not to mention an epic car.

good luck

Last edited:
cheers for the info superkarl
av got an eaton m62 offered to me. would that be suitable or are the blower type more efficient?
also management wise could I get just an ecu and use existing sensors or is it all out aftermarket?

that second link he's using an M62.
i suggest you sign up to vortex and read all you can, then ask any questions unanswered.
you'l get nowhere in here mate.
i personally have next to no knowledge of twin charging and superchargers. I just enjoy reading the builds.

Have you looked at the rotrex chargers? I'm fairly sure the c63 can be made to fit where the aircon pump sits on a 20vt. Ask Issam at INA they did a kit once!

thanks al have a look am thinking of a eaton m62 am going to see over the weekend if it'l fit.

was going to call you bill to see if you could throw any input and your idea of possibilitys?!?

space.... dual charge you looking to do?

there was a guy on vortex a few years ago.. blue golf 4, charged and GT35'd. Roka I think his name was.
lots of work and ££ to achieve

yes its an eaton m62 am looking at. yea I can see space will be an issue. guessing i need an aftermarket management. what do u recommend?